SLightly burned circuit board Samsung Sync MAster T240HD

Phil86

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Hello everyone,

let me cut to the case directly, when i wokeup yesterday my Monitors Backlight stopped working, so i opened the case and disassembled it until i made my way to the PS Circuit Board where i found a slightly burned spot right around the transformer and some condensators, when i flipped the board i also found that about 4 sodding spots where burned aswell and had some "tar" like residue around em, i already cleaned it up a bit using a brush and lighter fluid.

http://postimg.org/image/63hds2nj5/

http://postimg.org/image/jq7lfpyy5/

Im posting here to maybe get an answer on just how damaged the board might be..is there a chance to save it ??

Solution
From how extensive the charring is and how it spans a large area without any electronics actually in it to explain it, it looks like excessive current through the traces may have caused the traces themselves to heat up - the most severely discolored areas are long wide traces with no components around them.

What are the capacitor brands and models on that board? I would not be too surprised if Samsung used crappy capacitors and the reason why the board overheated like that is the backlight inverter becoming unstable due to noisy power supply. Depending on your luck, simply replacing the crappy capacitors with equivalent ones of better quality might be enough to resurrect it. If you aren't that lucky, some active components such as the...

InvalidError

Titan
From how extensive the charring is and how it spans a large area without any electronics actually in it to explain it, it looks like excessive current through the traces may have caused the traces themselves to heat up - the most severely discolored areas are long wide traces with no components around them.

What are the capacitor brands and models on that board? I would not be too surprised if Samsung used crappy capacitors and the reason why the board overheated like that is the backlight inverter becoming unstable due to noisy power supply. Depending on your luck, simply replacing the crappy capacitors with equivalent ones of better quality might be enough to resurrect it. If you aren't that lucky, some active components such as the inverter's controller/driver may have been destroyed.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
Most capacitor manufacturers spell their names on electrolytic capacitors - the aluminum cans with plastic jackets. There are some exceptions like Matsushita/Panasonic which are simply branded "[M]" though or TDK/Epcos which only put the Epcos logo on them. The only yellow jacket electrolytic capacitors I remember seeing were branded SamYoung and most of the blue ones I have seen are Fuhjyyu.

The model is a two or three character code like "FM", "FR", "TN", "TMR", etc. which are manufacturer-specific.