Slimline graphics card

jamez488

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Hello,I have a HP Pavilion Slimline and i want to play games on high level graphics but my graphics card sucks ass. I was wondering if I would be able to buy a new one and install it, could anyone recommend one? thanks

jamez488

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
erm.. i dont have a graphics card.. i dont think.. i think its installed or something.
my processor is dual core E5400 2.70GHz
RAM is 3GB
System type.. 64-bit operating system
Thats all i know... :p If you could tell me how to find out the power supply.. :) thanks

jamez488

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
okay, its a HP pavilion slimline s5545uk-m and the graphics card it has is PCI Express x16 Graphics..
My external connector is a 15-hole connector..

Wolfshadw

Titan
Sorry. This is what I get for not checking my PMs more often.

While you do have an available PCI-Ex16 (Low Profile?) graphics card slot, you only have a 220 watt power supply, so adding a high end graphics card just isn't going to be possible. Considering that you are currently using the on-board graphics, though, just about any card would be an improvement.

I probably wouldn't go over an AMD Radeon HD5450 or NVidia Geforce 220. These are, in no way, considered gaming cards, but again, just about anything is better than the HP Slimline S5545UK.

-Wolf sends

jbadilla

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hi I found this thread looking for a similar graphics card upgrade, I am thinking on upgrading a HP Pavilion Slimline s5230la, the specs are over here: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=bg&destPage=document&docname=c01861152, this is an Intel Core 2 Duo E7500, with 4 Gb RAM, Integrated graphics using Intel GMA 3100, and 220W power supply.

Do you think I might be able to use this particular card: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=918&pid=317&psn=&lid=1&leg=0
I probably wont use any heavy graphics game, maybe just google earth, some light video editing, and normal web browsing.. My main motivation is to use 2 monitors, using the dvi connector and the second hdmi out with an hdmi to dvi to connect the second monitor, with a low profile connection, which I guess requires me to ditch the vga out connector.
The machine has 1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card / 2 PCI Express x1 slots / 1 PCI slot (which is anyway blocked by the power supply, I believe)
The included tv tuner card is apparently using the pci express x16 slot, but i think i should be able to shift it to a free pci express port.
Thanks for any indication or suggestion anyone could give me.

You really need a larger power supply to run better graphics; it is really essential. While the 5570 only uses 45W on full load, remember that that PSU also has to give power to the motherboard, processor, hard drive, and anything else is in the computer as well as the stuff you have connected to it, such as keyboards and mice as well as MP3 players. A decent power supply is imperative and also not that much of a stretch for most people's wallets.

That 5570 does look like a nice card for the case since it is low profile, but don't expect to play ANY high end games on it unless your monitor is small or you play on ultra-low.

jbadilla

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Do you know of any source where I could obtain a specific Power Supply to replace the stock PS I have?

also I looked at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vORr6S3pPpI on replacing the PSU but I think the internal layout for this slimline motherboard is different from mine.

Thanks

jbadilla

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I just found a reference for another slimline model sold in brazil (mine was sold in central america)
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...4133&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
this model seems to match in every aspect my slimline model , except it includes an additional Radeon HD4350 low profile video card, and everything with a 220W power supply. I would try to go for this type of video card if it may run with the original power supply.