Slimline the rad or the fans to fit in a confined space?

Bishop149

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
I have a dilemma, I've pretty much decided on the Phanteks Enthoo Luxe as a case for my next build as very good balance of features vs pricepoint. The case has room at the top for either a 360 or 420 radiator but (and this is the thing) the clearance room to the mobo is 65mm.

The case is designed with the idea that this space is for the rad (plenty) and the fans will be mounted above in a "Pull" configuration. This isn't really what I want to do as I think its generally accepted that "Push" is better than "Pull" and "Push / Pull" is better than either alone.
If I want to go "Push" or "Push/Pull" I have to squeeze both a rad and the Push fans into that 65mm which means compromising something by going slimline.

I've narrowed it down to the following options:

Slimline the Rad
- Black Ice Nemesis Radiator GTS 420
- Normal format Fans (25mm)
Total Thickness: 56.4mm

Slimline the Fans
- EKWB CoolStream CE 420
- AeroCool 140mm Streamliner Fan
Total Thickness: 65 mm

It's only 5mm!!
- EKWB CoolStream CE 420
- Normal format Fans (25mm)
Total Thickness: 70mm

I know that slimmer fans are generally pretty noisy and it seems that Aerocool is pretty much the only option, other slimline 140mm fans exist but for some unfathomable reason they all have 120mm mounting holes . . . obviously what you'd want when looking specifically for a 140mm fan!
I'd welcome any other suggestions I'm unaware of.

The question then becomes EKWB CoolStream CE 420 vs Black Ice Nemesis Radiator GTS 420, if there not much between them then I'd go with the Slimline Rad option.
I also dunno how important obstructing the top 5mm of the mobo is likely to be, I guess it depends on the mobo and I have yet to decide on one.

TRENDING THREADS