Sling TV Adds Four EPIX Channels And EPIX VOD To Sweeten Cord-Cutting Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to say Dishnetwork hasn't noted there biggest problem. A large number hate to pay for things they never watch. Sale the channels a la' carte. If the channel is low price then sale them by annual or semi annual subscriptions which the custom is billed monthly. This would fix dish networks second short coming. Channel blackouts and customers upset over losing channels. The media provider sets the price and if its not competitive then customers walk away. The customer gets out of any annual or semi annual contracts if the media provider cuts the service.

buzzrattie

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012
Same ol' ball and chain if you ask me. Same subscription plan as their regular service, and do these channels get away from commercials? One of the best things for cord cutters, is they don't have to watch ads, unless they want to of course.

Ahoygo

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
Interested only in half of the channels provided in the $25/month package. Why not give us a list of channels for us to pick the ones we like? Choose 12 channels for the $25/month package is more interesting.

Christopher Brehm

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
You can pause and rewind over half the channels already. Choosing specific channels won't happen for a long time due the way the networks sell the channels as packages to the distributors. So if you want x channel dish has to buy Y and Z to get X.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Same ol' ball and chain if you ask me. Same subscription plan as their regular service, and do these channels get away from commercials? One of the best things for cord cutters, is they don't have to watch ads, unless they want to of course.
Because of comments I made on other threads about this service, I am happy to see that the people commenting on this article are employing critical thinking. I completely agree that it is the same old ball and chain.

What I found is that if you go to the Dish site and look at the packages that they offer for the traditional satellite based subscription model, the satellite packages are less expensive on a per-channel basis. As I see it, Dish is hoping us cord-cutters will subscribe because of the limited access that this package gives to sports fans and not notice that anyone subscribing is going to be paying MORE for this package than they will for a satellite subscription.

The interesting thing with this is that with the satellite subscription, you still get Sling service, though, I do not know if there is an extra fee for it.

My bet is that in its final form when Dish gets through negotiating contracts with content providers that the "everything" price will be in the $100/mo range.

Have to say Dishnetwork hasn't noted there biggest problem. A large number hate to pay for things they never watch.
Agreed, and Dish is hoping you don't notice that you are paying for channels you never watch - even with this streaming service.

My wife and I were paying $86/mo to watch maybe five channels out of the "America's Top 250" channels of $hit we were getting. In the year that we have been off of the Dish, we have found that pretty much everything that we were watching is available with the minor inconvenience that we have to wait until it comes to one of Hulu, Amazon, or Netflix. We are now paying $20/mo for the three streaming services plus a subscription to an iTunes show, using a HTPC and OTA tuners for DVR functionality, and we still are able to watch all that we were watching.

We are both much happier since we cut the cord.

That they have added Epix would only sweeten the deal IF it were free.

Hojo15

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
You don't need to pay an extra $20/month when you can buy android devices that do the exact same thing or use a computer with websites that provide all the channels for nothing more than the internet you already buy. I have not had cable or satellite for going on 8 years and have used my internet exclusively unless it is on an over the air event where I have an inexpensive HD antenna. It's just another way to keep the cord attached. It is however a step in the right direction especially in the case where most don't watch a tenth of the channels on a satellite or cable plan and just want a few they do. Why doesn't dish just offer a plan that you can choose the few stations you want and charge accordingly?

Status
Not open for further replies.