Slipstream / nLite Install on New-Build P5B Deluxe WiFi

jethrodesign

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004
Hello, I'm just about to embark upon building my new PC and was hoping for some last second advice / tips.

I'm going to be creating a slipstreamed CD with all the latest updates to WinXP using the nLite application. I will only have a SATA DVD burner in this machine (Sony / NEC) unless a floppy is absolutely mandatory.

A) Anyone know what drivers are important to have on the CD to be loaded upon install?

B) Should I update the BIOS before doing anything? If so, can I include it on CD, or should it be another method (remember, no floppy)?

I downloaded every latest driver I could find for WinXP at the ASUS support site.
C) Are these the latest/greatest, and is this the best resource?

D) Any drivers/updates I should specifically wait until XP is fully installed before updating?

E) Any resources for tips on what BIOS settings to setup first, or what to NOT TOUCH?

THANKS A LOT. I'm trying to avoid a lot of the problems people run into when everything is not completely updated, or the proper order of things is not followed. Any other resources, tips would be greatly appreciated!

bumster

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
You can go to this site and this nifty little tool will slipstream the most common drivers to your CD for you!

Driverpacks

Just download the driverpacks you need and put them under the driverpack folder, no need to unzip them.

Also, you can go to another site for slip streaming all of the latest Hotfixes into your CD from this site.

RVM Integrator

I just made myself an Ultimate XP OEM setup CD with both of these tools and can install XP without using any floppies for the RAID controller drivers. And with the latest hotfixes built in no wasted time afterwards trying to update Windows!

FYI, I started with SP2 and the Hotfixes streaming first.

Good luck!

Oh, and you should only update your BIOS if you are experiencing a problem that is listed as resolved in the new version or if you have a type of CPU that was not recognized properly for example.

jethrodesign

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I had seen the site for the DriverPacks, it just wasn't clear if how up-to-date the specific drivers may be for the exact devices I had.

- If I choose to search out the lastest drivers for just my specific devices, how do they need to be prepared to be slipstreamed (ie, some are .exe files, some probably have integrated applications and control panels, etc.)?

- What is actually NEEDED for the drivers/install (just .inf files?)?

And I did actually get the hotfixes update to incorporate. Thanks!

- Concerning the BIOS, I know when I was originally looking into the P5WDH, it was highly recommended to update the BIOS first for compatibility purposes. Is the P5B just newer and better-off with the default BIOS?

Thanks again for all help! Maybe it will go smoother than I think, just trying to avoid some headaches.