Slot 1 = Intel?

G

When I got my slot1 ABit motherboard for my Celeron I was thinking of upgrading to Pentium3 sometime later (seemed the way to go at the time....)

Now that Athlons look SO good is there any way I can squeeze one into my slot 1 .
i.e. Do such things as converters exist which allow me to do this, and if so, what implications are there, if any?

Or am I stuck with slot1 CPUs ?

G

there isn't a way you could squeeze an Athlon into your slot 1 mobo. Athlons need either slot a or socket a mobos. there are no converters available for Athlons to be used on slot 1 or socket 370 mobos.

i bet, if we could use Athlon on a good ol' 440BX mobo, VIA would be out of business soon.

-----------------------------
Some are ignorantly happy,
While some, happily ignorant.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Nope you cant' get an athlon on that baby... Just get a new motherboard (a Socket A motherboard), and a Tbird or Duron processor..... Then sell your current setup ;)

G

Bit fed up with having to get a new m'board and case everytime I want a CPU upgrade.

Seems to me that no games exist at the moment that can stretch an Athlon/Geforce combination to anywhere near the limit.
Used to be that games advanced faster than the cpus could keep up with. Now with the latest 3d cards it seems the trend has reversed.

There are few games that my mere Celeron/voodoo2 combination can't handle, so upgrading to a high end P3/geforceMX should, relatively cheaply, ensure I'm ok for a couple more years. By which time I'm sure that a socketa mboard/case/Athlon/geforceGTS will be hopelessly out of date again.

Do any games exist (and face it, what else stretches PCs like games) for which the best items are actually needed?

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Dont' forget that if you get a P3 (for about twice as much as a Tbird, with less performance), it too will be out of date. In fact, it already is. Seems to me the P4 just came out.

G

I guess it will come down to how much you want to spend. Some people are quite concerned with riding the crest of the performance wave at all cost. Others have a 'chip' on their shoulder towards AMD or Intel.

Certainly, your simplest way to substantially better performance is to go for one of the E chips. The 700E can be had, with a golden Orb for less than $200 from upgrade planet. You should have no problem getting over 900MHz with that combination (mine runs 140FSB=980MHz on a BX system). Its a cheap route to buy another year or so.

You know the alternative. Grizly1 would have you junk the BX board, but even Tom P recognizes the value of the old BX'er. Things could change by next summer or fall, when you can spend lots of money and buy a whole new computer from Grizly1. He knows exactly who's fastest and cheapest.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry for making suggesions on how to save money. Thought thats what this board was for. But hey, you can listen to some zit faced 14 year old with nothing else to do if you want.

G

No zits, just a few old grey wiskers and a handful of common sense.

G

nahh!forget PIII since cripplemine will do the job just fine! 600Mhz cc0 stepping cripplemine + cheapo converter card can be clocked to 900/1000Mhz without much effort.

That'll be enough to extend the last bit out of the good old BX without dropping too much money into it

G

So, would you buy his "current setup"?? I think he'll need the ram, the graphics card, the case, the floppy, the keyboard, etc.

You miss the point, grizly1. BT52 DOESN'T want to spend alot of money. Isn't that the point......

Take your ax and grind it elsewhere.

If he had no computer, I'd tell him to buy a slot A mobo, a Duron or T-bird, etc. etc. But that is hardly what he is asking. Get a grip.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Can upgrade to a Intel PIII or a AMD Thunderbird. Most likely, you'd have to change your motherboard, and for the Thunderbird, definitely yes.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://zidane222.cjb.net" target="_new">http://zidane222.cjb.net</A></b>

G

FWIW, If you were starting from scratch, I would recommend a Tbird with a DDR motherboard. It would have leading edge performance at a good price. However since you pretty much have everything now I would think your most economical and best "bang for buck" would be just to get the appropriate P111 and overclock it. I saw someone said the 700E? easily does 900? That should hold you off for a year. Really, unless you are doing really high end work, I don't think you'll see a huge difference between the latest on the market and that as I believe at the moment, in the general spectrum of applications, that the hardware is ahead of the software. But if you have to have the latest..I would at the moment go with the tbird. But if so you'll have to buy a new moboard, chip instead of just a chip. Though the AMD prices are so good, it might not me that much more to do that, but then if you don't wait for ddr you're in much the same place as you are now in terms of having a system that is at the end of its platform life (as short as that is these days). So there you are, I'd just get a p3 and wait until all the new stuff is matured a little for the next year. You'll have plenty of performance. Just my two cents:)

G

Thanks for the help.
Sorry for sounding stupid but what's this "e-chip"?

You're right, I just want a relatively low-cost upgrade at the moment. I have a Celeron 400 and a voodoo2 which I was planning to upgrade to whatever good value P3 or other is around and a ge-force MX.

So all I'm comparing is the cost of a fast slot1 chip against the cost of a new mboard, slot a chip, case etc.
With the P4 out I was hoping that half-decent P3 prices would be dropping like stones.

Don't think I'll be suffering with performance too much with that setup. Who cares about having 100fps in Quake3 if your eyes and brain can't tell the difference above 30?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BT52 on 12/04/00 09:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I can tell the difference between 30 and 60, and 60 and 85 (when things move around in the game, you see the frames), but my monitor won't display at more than 85 hz. I wish there was a 21" monitor that would run 1280x1024 with > 130 hz...

G

Just go with a p3 e-chip and overclock it, following the suggestions above. Speed really isn't an issue at the speed the chips are running the gains you get from the extra performace is minimal, and you are right who really give a crap if your box can get 300fps?? It's no different than 100fps, as longs as you are over 30-40 you are fine. Again, unlike what some people say just get a p3 and I guarantee you will be fine.

G

Oh, I forgot to include this, someone correct me if I'm from but I believe the "e" has to do with the stepping of the CPU. I can't really explain it but I'm sure someone here can. Anyway, if you look at this like it is an article about someone who took a P3 700E and successfully overclocked it to 933Mhz and even 977Mhz, both running completely stable and both using an Abit board and no special cooling (was using an 3rd party CPU cooler though and I recommend you do, you could just do what this guy did and you should be fine), anyway here is the link:

http://www.ocmax.com/Reviews/P3700E/p3_700e_page1.htm

Read through that whole article and if that doesn't make up your mid for ya I dunno what will. :)

-Sock

G

A rather sad but true fact seems to be that a new CPU upgrade inevitably means a new motherboard and new RAM to go with it. I just bought a PIII 533, needing a new board and SDR PC133 RAM, now there's DDR, Socket 370, socket 437, Socket 5XX (P4's), Socket A. Basically you buy a CPU now and a board and have to forget about upgrade potential to another CPU, at least in terms of new features rather than just higher clocks, but let's face it, turn on task manager and see how IDLE you CPU has been since you turned it on, do we need 2Ghz? NO!

TRENDING THREADS