Slow adsl, sometimes it works?

nintox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
For two weeks now my connection has been horrible. The only thing I get from a browser is the blank white loading screen with an eventual timeout. It occasionally (1-2 times of a dozen a week) it works but still lags and speedtest is showing a slightly higher ping and horrendous upload, it takes 2+ minutes to do the test when it used to take 10 seconds.

I've found sometimes I'm able to connect my modem directly ( which is brand new) to my desktop and reset the device using network diagnostic and it will go to the sub capable connection stated above. Other times it will be "Identifying the problem" using said tool for 2 minutes until it comes back telling me nothing is wrong but will be back to the endless white screen of loading. I don't think it's a router issue it do the same thing router attached or just the modem. It does the same thing with both laptops and my desktop.

I've called my ISP and they want to send someone to look at my setup. They had me do some testing in the command prompt last week which I don't remember and it said something about 1 of 4 packets lost. Once a week I'll get off work and it will be back to normal blazing fast. I'll think it fixed itself and then the next day, white screen browser again.

It does the same thing in safe mode, the same with all virus protection and firewalls shut off. I even uninstalled the AI Suite 3 I Networking because I read that particular program from my Asus Z77 board could cause what I'm seeing.

It achieved nothing.

Modem is a COMTREND CT-5072T

Motherboard is a ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150 Intel
Wifi/Ethernet is onboard.
Operating System is Windows 7 Home Service Pack 1

My ISP is called Netins I've had them for over 15 years they are a rural Iowa ISP. I'm sure they go through someone else but I'm unsure whom.

I do not believe this to be a network issue at all but when the internet IS working there are 3 phone, a desktop (wired), ipad, laptop, smart tv and Xbox one connected to the Asus RT-N66U Dual Band 3x3 Wireless N900 Gigabyte Router.

My only question is this. I'm in a very old farm house which connections have not been updated since perhaps the 90s. Would deteriorating lines outside my home be causing what I am seeing? My setup inside is tops as I get the same thing from every device, my ISP claims no issue. Could it be the phone box and the connecting lines attached to the house?

I should mention I had lightning fry a modem and Netgear Nighthawk router three months ago because of a faulty surge protector. Im assuming that isn't the issue because the internet ran fine for two and a half months since the occurrence.

Any questions for me PLEASE ask. I'm at a loss!

TiA

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Could deteriorating lines outside be causing the problem? Sure. Deteriorating lines inside could also cause problems, as well as any other number of issues.

To isolate the issue, the modem should be connected directly to the outside phone box and connection quality tested from there. That is not always easy or practical, but it's the only way for you to tell if it's an inside or outside problem. (There is normally a test jack present in the box that disconnects the inside wiring, allowing you to test only the line coming up to the home.) A technician will very likely test with a meter at the same point to find the line quality coming up to the house.

An outside issue is the responsibility of the ISP, while any inside wiring issue is yours.

edit for clarity