[SOLVED] Slow AHCI speeds

elbubsio

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016
Hi all,

I've just installed an old samsung 840evo 120gb SSD in my system as the boot drive (about 90GB used) and afterwards, ran a speed test with AS ssd. According to reviews etc I've read, the drive should be getting read/write speeds of over 500MBs and an overall score of 1100 or so. However, it's only getting about 450MBs and an overall score of 790. The access speed seems slow too at 0.131ms read and 0.070ms write. The AHCI driver is storahci and according to AS ssd, the drive is aligned (correct term?) ok with both showing as green. Have I missed something that will boost the speed or is that the best I can expect? It's running on an ASRock b450m-pro4F mobo and 2600 ryzen with 16gb 3066mhz crucial RAM. I'm using win10 64bit.

popatim

Titan
2 rules.
1: don't benchmark your boot drive. Windows is always using it for something
2: You don't get full speed from full drives. Remember you need to leave 10-20% space unused (after formatting) so the drive has a place to do it internal housework. {ie- 111gb-20gb=91gb: yes you're full.}

elbubsio

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but i don't think that's the problem. My other system (in which the crucial MX500 250GB SSD is only about 45% full) also tests similarly slow. I thought about your boot drive comment, so I moved that SSD across to this system and tested it as a secondary drive with the same result.

It seems to have happened since I upgraded to win10, so was wondering if that could somehow be causing the slowdown? Could I have missed a setting somewhere. I've made sure the drive is in AHCI mode, TRIM is on, write caching is on etc. One thought I had is because the SSDs were installed after win10 was and I migrated the data across from an HDD to the SSD. Could that be causing a problem? It's a bit of a mystery. :unsure:

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can try optimizing the drive, to see if that helps. Try Settings->System->Storage->Optimize Drives. This bascially forces TRIM to run on the SSD. Otherwise, it is possible that there's a driver incompatibility somewhere from your migration, if all else fails, can do a system reset to see if that fixes it.

elbubsio

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've already done the optimize thing. It's not that much of a problem to do a whole system refresh until the next time I actually need to, I was just hoping someone may have a miracle solution :)

TRENDING THREADS