Slow and now sometimes hanging boot-up

sharp461

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014
So I personally believe I have great specs, GTX 960, AMD fx-8150 CPU, 16 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit.

Lately though I have noticed my computer usually takes a long time to boot, from pressing ON until the desktop APPEARS is about 60 seconds or less, sometimes more, but before I can actually do anything I have to wait between 5-10 minutes. I usually know its safe to use when the network icon at the bottom right of screen becomes the simple screen (meaning the blue loading icon disappears). And whats weird though is after I can use the computer it runs perfectly fine and is fast, only start-up is an issue. Just last week though I have started to get some hanging where even after 30 minutes, the loading icon on the network icon doesn't go away and I cannot load any programs or even open the task manager. I somehow can still open and browse my folders, but can't open anything to try and reset the explorer.exe.

The first time I had this problem after pressing so many buttons the desktop disappeared (leaving only my background picture). This problem has happened three times now and the only way to fix it is to restart manually, and it so far has always worked (I never get this problem on consecutive start-ups, usually happens a couple of days, with this latest one happening after 4 days). Anyone have any idea what could do this? Thanks in advanced and for reading my long paragraphs:p

Tchota

Reputable
May 11, 2015
try this:

System Configuration Utility (Windows 7 and Vista)

Press Win-r . In the "Open:" field, type msconfig and press Enter .
Click the Startup tab.
Uncheck the items you do not want to launch on startup. ...
When you have finished making your selections, click OK.
In the box that appears, click Restart to restart your computer

Disable all programs that are not really important (leave antivirus, and firewall activated to start with windows, land maybe applications related with GPU).

If the problem persists you can also disable services that will load with windows at the msconfig windows. But hide all windows services

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

It does sound like you might have TOO MANY startup programs loading at boot. However, don't bother with MSConfig to help you much. It only displays a tiny handful of programs that preloads. I recommend that you get a good 3rd Party Startup Manager that will display just about everything on your computer.. Also, you should look at what you have installed that loads up and go into the settings of those programs and UNCHECK the option to "start with Windows". Some programs that I have unchecked include:
Yahoo Messenger
Roxio
Spotify
Google Drive & Skydrive (I allow Dropbox since I use auto photo/video upload to computer)

sharp461

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014
I have tried that already and even uninstalled some amd dual-core optimizer I had thinking maybe that was doing something. All I have on startup are my antivirus, logitech software, Nvidia software, java (disable that?) and realtek drivers.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

May I ask... how do you know those are the only programs you have starting up? What Startup Manager did you use?

sharp461

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014

I used msconfig to uncheck the startup programs.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

There you go... MSConfig only displays a small handful. I'm sure you probably have about 15-20 more that won't show up.

sharp461

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

sharp461

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014

Tchota

Reputable
May 11, 2015
You might have corrupt windows files as well.

To check if you have corrupt files, you can follow this steps: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

If at the end of the scan you receive a message saying that there are corrupt files that could not be fixed come back here and tell us.

If it does not find corrupt files, or if it manage to fix them all, you might want to try a different antivirus (I would recommend kaspersky - 15 days free trial)

sharp461

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014

I ran it and it said there were some files they couldn't fixed and I got a CBS log file.

sharp461

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014
Ok so before I do anything else, I just looked at my Event Viewer to find a lot of errors pertaining to some services failing to start. Examples include:

Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date: 5/21/2015 8:49:12 PM
Event ID: 10016
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1}
and APPID
{344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Error 5/21/2015 8:40:36 PM Service Control Manager 7009 None
A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Performance Service service to connect.

Error 5/21/2015 8:40:05 PM Service Control Manager 7000 None
The SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Error 5/21/2015 8:39:26 PM Service Control Manager 7009 None
A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Hi-Rez Studios Authenticate and Update Service service to connect.
(This is for a game I play so I believe I can just turn off the automatic update.)

Error 5/21/2015 8:39:12 PM DistributedCOM 10016 None
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1}
and APPID
{344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Sorry for the possibly confusing info, not sure how, if at all, to attach a txt file with the info. Either way do any of these errors sound like something that could possibly cause my PC to hang up during boot?
It seems that after the hang up and I manually restart it works.

Tchota

Reputable
May 11, 2015
To be honest I put all those infos they asked, but I dont know how safe its to do it. And I dont know if you can edit those infos because they will give you a file that you will have to run later and I dont know what info they will need to do it.

If you dont fell like putting those infos online, you can also try restore your system to a previous point, some times after a windows update your system becomes very slow.

I dont know if those erros might slow your computer down

sharp461

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014
Right, after so today computer started fine, so I compared my event logs with two successful boot ups in a row to the hang up one and found that only the hang up had this error:

Error 5/21/2015 8:40:36 PM Service Control Manager 7009 None
A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Performance Service service to connect.

The hang up one didn't have any application errors i guess since the computer got hung up. Anyone know anything about this one service?

Also System restore rarely fixes problems like these and this has been going on for a long time.