CPU - i5 6600k (no overclocking)
Motherboard - Asus Z170-A
RAM - 16 GB DDR4 HyperX Savage 2400MHz
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW
Storage (SSD) - Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB
Storage (HDD) - Western Digital Blue 7200rpm 1TB
Storage (HDD) - Seagate 7200rpm 2TB
PSU - Corsair RM650x

A few weeks back my system would not boot. The problem was with the motherboard so I sent it back for RMA and they sent me a replacement last week.

The card they sent me was clearly used/refurbished with some very small traces of thermal paste around the cpu socket and dust on some PCI slots. Since it wasn't anything too big of an issue I rebuilt my system with it. It's the exact same model so I did not reinstall windows.

My 1st problem is that UEFI BIOS is very slow. Mouse is updating its position once every few seconds so it's unusable. Navigating with keyboard is equally slow but after about 30 frustrating minutes I managed to reset factory settings and then overclock my RAM speed to 2400 MHz (XMP profile). For some reason, it has slightly improved the bios speed but still it is very slow and unusable.

My 2nd problem is that it takes too long to boot up. From clicking the power button to viewing windows desktop it can take from 1-1:20 mins. The task manager in windows says that the last BIOS time was around 45 seconds. For comparison, with my original card I would see the windows desktop in less than 20 seconds and the last BIOS time was about 9 seconds.

Shutting down also takes a long time. After everything has turned off (even the screen) the fans spin at full speed and the case's hdd led is on for more than 30-40 seconds before finally shutting down.

While using windows I have noticed no slowdown compared to the original mobo. It seems that the problem is only while booting up, shutting down, and trying to make any changes to the bios.

I have no idea as to why this may be happening and what to do about it. I do not think that sending the card back for a new RMA will be accepted since it clearly works as it is, and, in addition, I do not want to stay without a pc for a few weeks more.

Any ideas or advice about what exactly is the issue and how I can fix it are welcome. It is not a huge issue since I can use my PC normally but the current situation is far from ideal, especially if I decide to overclock some time.

freddyisback

Honorable
Jun 20, 2016

Resetting CMOS was one of the first things I tried. Didn't help much.

I have also tried changing bios settings like disabling legacy boot mode but I've seen no improvement. And I am not willing to bother any longer with such a slow BIOS where each keystroke needs about 10 seconds to register.

Since my original message I have also found out that the sound coming out of the motherboard is distorted. I haven't noticed earlier because I listened to the sound off the hdmi coming out of my gpu. New drivers, new speakers and anything else I tried, all point to a faulty mothermoard.

I guess that I will be sending it back.