Slow Bios boot (ASRock h97 fatal1ty killer)

seanzill

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
Just finish building my very first PC today and tried to install windows 8.1 via USB. The NZXT s340 doesn't have a optical drive. At first the BIOS boot up was very fast (about a second). The very first problem I encountered was that I couldn't install windows. "Windows cannot be installed to this disk this computer's hardware may not support booting this disk ensure that disk's controller is enabled in the computer BIOS menu." Tried playing around with the BIOS settings and then restarted my PC. Suddenly the boot up took about 30 seconds. Tried loading the UEFI default settings and still no fix. Tried taking out the CMOS battery and still no fix. The setup prompt timeout hasn't changed (1 second as default). I tried taking out the SATA 3 connecter (connected to a WD Blue 1TB) and then walla! It was back to normal. But then I connected it back, it went back to 30 seconds.

Should I just replace the HDD?

Asrock H97 Fatal1ty Killer
i5 4460 3.2Ghz
Graphics card soon to come
8GB of memory
Corsair CX600M
1 TB of WD Blue

What other storage do you have besides the WD Blue 1 TB? Do you have an SSD?

You should always disconnect all HDDs during a Windows installation to an SSD. Otherwise, Windows will try to install a hidden partition on the HDDs which drastically slows the booting process.

Yogi

seanzill

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015

At the moment I only have the HDD. The SSD has to come later, since I'm tight on budget. It's the HDD is starting to irritate me now. It failed to install windows at first and now it's slowly down my BIOS boot up and Windows installer. Should I take it to the retailer to get it replaced or fixed?

If it is brand new, yes.

Yogi