[SOLVED] Slow boot after power outage, stuck on POST

Frozenyojk

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016
Hello guys,
I hope you have good evening/morning/day, wherever you are.
I have strange problem since quite a while - I had a power outage one day, and after it my pc was booting very, very slowly. A few weeks before that I installed a brand new Samsung Evo 970 Plus, 250 gb SSD nvme drive. I had no problems until that day.
Now, when I restart the PC im stuck on POST screen with (with few dots, creating a spinning "loading" circle) and sometimes, after another power outage, it does that when booting the PC. I haven't tried reinstalling windows just because im using the PC very often for work (pandemic stuff) and I don't want to completely delete everything at this stage. I've tried BIOS update (I thought it might be the problem, cuz i haven't updated the bios on my mobo since buying it) but it didn't work, so i decided to return the windows to the latest save point as I thought it might be driver issue then. Didn't fix anything.
So, my question is can this be some kind of hardware problem or there might be some issue deep down in the system's files?

There are my components:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600 NON AF
  • MSI B350 PC mate, with updated BIOS (7A34vAJ)
  • 2x8 G.Skill TridentZ 3200 CL 16 RAM
  • RTX 2060 Gigabyte
  • Kingston SSD KC 600 1 TB - file storage drive
  • Samsung 970 evo + nvme 250 gb - system storage drive
  • Seasonic Focus + 750w 80 GOLD certified.
Im considering updating the CPU in the near future, as well as the motherboard, and then reinstalling Windows, but i've decided to ask you guys. I might find some usefull information.
I am sorry for the english, it's my foreign language and im not fluent as you might have seen.
Thank you in advance and be safe :)
Many regards!

Solution
It's a good thing that you're on the latest BIOS but my curiosity leads me to ask whether you jumped to the latest BIOS update or you gradually worked your way to the latest version...? Power down the system and disconnect from the wall. Remove the CMOS battery and replace it after 30 minutes.

See if that helps. As for your OS reinstall, backup any and/or all critical data and then use a bootable installer for Windows 10. You can create your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Lutfij

Titan
It's a good thing that you're on the latest BIOS but my curiosity leads me to ask whether you jumped to the latest BIOS update or you gradually worked your way to the latest version...? Power down the system and disconnect from the wall. Remove the CMOS battery and replace it after 30 minutes.

See if that helps. As for your OS reinstall, backup any and/or all critical data and then use a bootable installer for Windows 10. You can create your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Reactions: Frozenyojk
Solution

Frozenyojk

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016

I've jumped on the latest BIOS, why? Is this a problem when jumping over bioses?
And I will try to remove the battery later this evening and will come back with an answer!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I've jumped on the latest BIOS, why? Is this a problem when jumping over bioses?
With some makers and in some cases they ask (if you make a big jump from one to another) to update to in between bios to make sure all will work right, other thing they might ask is to update chipset drivers first before updating. See if you have the latest chipset drivers,
AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops

Also is there a recent Beta bios, might try that one. First look for the latest chipset drivers though.

Frozenyojk

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016
With some makers and in some cases they ask (if you make a big jump from one to another) to update to in between bios to make sure all will work right, other thing they might ask is to update chipset drivers first before updating. See if you have the latest chipset drivers,
AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops

Also is there a recent Beta bios, might try that one. First look for the latest chipset drivers though.

Yeah, i've made sure my chipset driver was updated, it was required in the site for MSI mobos. As for BIOS jump - nothing was writen about it. I guess its fine, no probles apart from the obvious one.
Only 1 question though - how to chek the current chipset driver's version?

Frozenyojk

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016

So, I've removed the battery for almost an hour, and then put it back. When i've powered on the PC it has restated twice and the third boot was the actual boot, which again was stuck on post for around 2-3 minutes with these dots i was speaking about. It didn't fix anything :/ I guess i have to reinstall the windows and if this doesn't work i don't know what will...

Frozenyojk

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016
Sounds like it could be borked by the outage. Hopefully a format does the trick. A very good reason to have a UPS with serge protection unit. Saved me a few times.
What do you suggest could be broken? I've tested the ssd and it seemed ok.
As for the UPS - yeah, I've deceided to buy one but can't choose which, any advice? What should i look for?

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
What do you suggest could be broken? I've tested the ssd and it seemed ok.
As for the UPS - yeah, I've deceided to buy one but can't choose which, any advice? What should i look for?
That's the worst thing about power outage. When it comes back on. A surge could have damaged anything. A capacitor. Etc. A tech might be able to help. Good luck man.

Reactions: Frozenyojk

Frozenyojk

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016
So guys, i've deceided to reinstall the OS, and for now everything seems fine. It's loading a lot faster than it was before - around 30 sec of complete restart rather than over a minute which seems fine. Yeah, i still see these dots and I have panic attacks but it looks fine. I thought about faking power outage by unpluging the pc of the socket, but im to afraid that it will happen again, so i won't bother and will leave that to my power supply provider.

Hope you guys have a nice holidays and I hope each one of you out there finds one RTX 3090 underneath the Christmas tree!
Stay safe!

TRENDING THREADS