Question Slow Boot on new build intel i7 12700K

Daani37

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021
When I turn my pic on it takes a good 15-20 seconds for the Asus logo to even appear. Not sure why this is.

Spec

Intel i7 12700k
Asus Rog Strix Z690-A
64GB Corsair DDR4 3600mhz Ram
Windows 11
M.2 & SSD

I used to get faster boots on my i9 10900f. Any help would be appreciated. I have also updated the bios to the latest firmware

Ralston18

Titan
Check boot settings/configuration.

The operative setting being "verbose" mode.

Basically you determine/configure what all happens when the system is booting up.

What all it does and what all it reports.

Or, if you choose, skip and reduce the boot time.

Jul 1, 2022
When I turn my pic on it takes a good 15-20 seconds for the Asus logo to even appear. Not sure why this is.

Spec

Intel i7 12700k
Asus Rog Strix Z690-A
64GB Corsair DDR4 3600mhz Ram
Windows 11
M.2 & SSD

I used to get faster boots on my i9 10900f. Any help would be appreciated. I have also updated the bios to the latest firmware
Do you have an HDD? If so, check that it is not used as a boot disk

Daani37

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021
Check boot settings/configuration.

The operative setting being "verbose" mode.

Basically you determine/configure what all happens when the system is booting up.

What all it does and what all it reports.

Or, if you choose, skip and reduce the boot time.
Hi not sure what you mean by the operative setting being verbose mode?

Ralston18

Titan
One feature or function is that during the boot process each action is listed, displayed, so you can observe what is happening during boot up.

By "the computer" constantly telling you (being verbose) what is happening step by step during boot up you can use the process to check configuration settings and troubleshoot.

However, that can slow the boot to a noticeable degree.

So there are often options to turn verbosity off or limit it to some extent. AKA "Quiet Mode". Wording varies.

Generally, I will enable verbosity for awhile after system changes. If all goes well and there are no problems then I turn off/disable verbosity.

Check to see that the ram settings you have entered in the bios actually are used as shown in cpu-Z after booting.

The theory is that the motherboard did not like your selected ram settings and had to adjust to something that would run.

There may also be some settings that will test ram before booting; that should be turned off.

Daani37

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021
Check to see that the ram settings you have entered in the bios actually are used as shown in cpu-Z after booting.

The theory is that the motherboard did not like your selected ram settings and had to adjust to something that would run.

There may also be some settings that will test ram before booting; that should be turned off.
Thanks for your reply I have XMP 1 enabled in the bios to run the ram at 3600mhz, checking this on CPUZID it is showing as 3600mhz also.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I used my previous hard drive which had windows 11 already on it so no.
First mistake always do a fresh install or you can be chasing problems a long time.

3 Things can happen without a fresh install. it works, it don't work, or you chase problems because it sort of works.

Fresh install with only the drive you wish to load windows on hooked up to the motherboard.