[SOLVED] Slow boot / restart Win 10, nvme / 9900k

rustigsmed

Distinguished
Hello,

I recently upgraded my 4790k, which had an evo 850 boot drive / win 10.
my new system is a 9900k with samsung pro 970 boot drive. the system obviously had a clean install, booting into windows or restarting takes over a minute (from when the windows dots start circling). my old system was waaaay faster for booting taking only a matter of seconds.

I have hardly anything in task manager start up. i have tried fast boot on and off in power management settings (which doesn't make a difference).

can anyone give any other suggestions?

on a side note; i did notice in on my old system after a windows update something was changed and it slowed down to similar speeds - i did not worry about trouble shooting that then due to my plan on upgrading at the time.

thanks

edit: mobo is a gigabyte aorus ultra z390
edit: nvme driver was installed/updated

Last edited:
Solution
with a help from members of another forum, the issue was discovered through using windows performance recorder - issue was traced to a faulty storage drive.

after removing the storage drive boot time went down to about 10 seconds. it's noted that disk management did not consider the drive faulty - however it was a pretty old drive.
I would go through your BIOS and disable any devices you aren't using. For example, if you only used the wired LAN adapter on that board, disable the wifi. If it gives you the option, set the priority for the graphics adapter to the slot your video card is installed in. The less the system needs to check during POST, the quicker it can start loading the OS and getting into Windows.

If you pop the 850 EVO into the new machine, does it boot? If it does, is the boot time the same as your old machine?

rustigsmed

Distinguished
thanks for the responses - i will try the other ssd over the weekend but as i said i noticed it too slowed down after the Dec Win update. the NVME drive works super quick in all other circumstances which leads to me to believe it is some kind of windows setting.
i've set in the bios to fast and ultra fast boot, that is fine it is when windows is loading which takes a long time.

rustigsmed

Distinguished
device manager showed some problems with the desktop, -pci driver, sm bus controller driver, pci data acquisition driver - which i updated.
bios I already had the latest "F7f" (not sure what 0805 is?), re did audio driver and chipset drivers.

restart has now blown out to 2mins 46 sec - 3 mins 25 seconds (plus bios).
however turning power on is about 40 seconds total (windows loading circle doesn't even show up).

rustigsmed

Distinguished
with a help from members of another forum, the issue was discovered through using windows performance recorder - issue was traced to a faulty storage drive.

after removing the storage drive boot time went down to about 10 seconds. it's noted that disk management did not consider the drive faulty - however it was a pretty old drive.

Solution
Ok, so you had actually another drive installed too?

Happy to see you found the faulty part, and thanks for sharing.
Just as a little remainder for everyone : all system specs should be included when asking for help as it give abetter chance for locating the real fault, including any secondary devices.

Assuming you're now up to replacing the storage drive - I'm curious to hear from you if that measurement actually does permanently solve the boot problem.