Slow boot time after AMD Catalyst 14.12 update

SB707

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
Hello,

I recently downloaded the AMD catalyst 14.12 update after an AMD update message appeared on my desktop.
While the update was installing I began to browse the web. All of a sudden my screen went black and I get the "no DVI" message. I waited about 5 minutes and the signal was not restored, so I reboot it.

Since then, my boot time has went from ~30 secs to ~60 secs. The computer spends a very long time on the Windows logo screen.Then the screen goes black for a second (seems to quickly lose signal as the DVI input message pops up like i just turned on the monitor) and it prompts me to enter my password. Loading the desktop is slower as well.

Despite this, the new 14.12 update appears to be installed according to the AMD catalyst control center.

I figured it must be an issue with the new driver, so I used the Windows "rollback driver" feature to revert back to the previous graphics card driver. According to the catalyst control center this rollback was successful, however this did not fix the slow boot time.

Aside from this the computer functions normally.

Any ideas?

Specs:
- Windows 7 64
- Radeon R9270x
- AMD A8 6600k Black
- 8GB Ram (Gkills ripjaws)
- Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H (rev. 3.0)
- Cooler master 625w power
- Seagate 1TB SATA3 hard drive

SB707

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

Just did this, and unfortunately my boot time is still about 1:04...

When it starts, it now gets past the "starting windows" screen fairly quickly. Then the screen goes black, the small loading circle appears next to the mouse, the monitor says "DVI" like it just turned on again, and then it lets me log in.

Any other suggestions?

MesutOzil

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
I'm having exactly the same issue. Just installed windows 10 here, and it's booting a lot slower than my previous Windows 7. I am 99% sure it's the fault of the drivers. I had an older version on the windows 7 and now I have the latest x64 version. The windows logo dissappears in about 3 seconds, but then I keep having a black screen for another 30 secs. A solution would be nice.

Xayden

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

Yes. Windows 10 has automatic updates enabled and for now you can't turn that off at all in the Home edition.
What you can do is hide the driver updates with this tool so the issues don't come back: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930