Slow boot times with NVMe windows 10

Fergus Barker

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
I recently did a clean install of windows 10. Every thing was all good until the first restart, which took an absolute eternity (~10 mins). I finished installing all my drivers and software and my boot times are still slow as hell (4-5 mins) with BIOS times well over 1000 seconds. I have 'Turn on fast start-up' disabled in windows and the fast option enabled in my bios enabled, so I really cant see what the problem is. Before reformatting I was getting sub 10 seconds boot times. Boot times in safe mode vary from 30ish seconds to around 4 minutes as well.

Specs;

CPU: Core I5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
RAM: 16GB @ 2133MHz
MOBO: Asrock fatal1ty gaming k6+
SSD: Samsung MZVLW 128HEGR-00000 (NVMe)
HDD: disconnected for troubleshooting

Fergus Barker

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

Ive installled the latest ones I could fine and no change in boot times. I ran a crystaldisk mark to see if the drive was the issue but its running as fast as it should be.

karenjoly

Respectable
Apr 13, 2018
So there are two sequences involved, the post and windows loading. Separate the timing for us. What time does the post take, and how long to load windows (starts when the circle goes round, up to the desktop appearing) ?

Fergus Barker

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

yep, I've set the ssd to the top of the boot prioritites list. I've removed all usb devices except the mouse and keyboard with no change in boot times.

Fergus Barker

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

the bios splash screen lasts for around 2 seconds, then the windows boot screen then takes up the rest of the boot time. I have found that if i remove all other internal drives then it boots near instantaneously, but even connecting one drives slows the boot time right down again. so it seems that the additional drives are the issue, but i cant figure out why as they werent connected during windows installation at all.

karenjoly

Respectable
Apr 13, 2018
It takes windows 4-5 minutes to load to the desktop after POST and the time varies by whether the HDD ( others drives as well ? How many ? USB ?) is/are attached to the board ?

When a system first boots the Last Bios Time -time to POST-is recorded in Task Manager/ Start Up. What is the time your system shows ?

Fergus Barker

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

all of the drives are connected internaly using SATA 6Gbps ports apart from the ssd which is connected via m.2, this is the configuration that takes ages to boot. the last bios time is reading 140.2 seconds. I have seen this number approaching 10000 seconds ( although I think windows messed that one up) but i have also seen it as low as 2 or 3 seconds. If i remove all the drives except the ssd the boot time is sub 10 seconds.

Ive tried resetting to default settings in the bios as well as clearing the cmos, but this doesnt have any effect on boot times at all.

faslanetech

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017
I recently did a clean install of windows 10. Every thing was all good until the first restart, which took an absolute eternity (~10 mins). I finished installing all my drivers and software and my boot times are still slow as hell (4-5 mins) with BIOS times well over 1000 seconds. I have 'Turn on fast start-up' disabled in windows and the fast option enabled in my bios enabled, so I really cant see what the problem is. Before reformatting I was getting sub 10 seconds boot times. Boot times in safe mode vary from 30ish seconds to around 4 minutes as well.

Specs;

CPU: Core I5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
RAM: 16GB @ 2133MHz
MOBO: Asrock fatal1ty gaming k6+
SSD: Samsung MZVLW 128HEGR-00000 (NVMe)
HDD: disconnected for troubleshooting

I know this is a slight bit old, but I have 2 Sata HDD and one NVME which is my "C" Drive and a 1TB Samsung Evo 960 as well. I also get a pretty slow boot time considering. I get the post screen and then the win spalsh and circle loading which takes maybe 30 seconds which seems fast to most but for an NVME it should be about 5-8 seconds to the desktop from power off.

I have a 6-core i5 latest gen 3.7GHZ
ASROCK Phantom Gaming 4 with intel 300 support and neweest Bios and my CPU is a "K" series (unlocked), 32GB DDR4 3000 and an RTX 2070 8GB DDR6 with an EVGA single 200mm or so water cooling, everything runs perfect but I'm thinking something is off in bios (ultra boot speed is on) and Fast Boot is ticked in the power prefs in Win 10 (should one of those be off?)

I haven't tried disconnecting the HDD's as it used to boot super fast regardless. I DON'T have the NVME set as the SATA 0 but it is set was the first boot device with all others disabled and only usb mouse and keyboard plugged in with LAN boot off but it still takes while to boot up. I read something about enabling "DMI" in the bios to get a super fast boot speed but there's a couple DMI settings and a couple refer to ASPM (Power management) so I'm not sure which to enable or disable.
I can't really go without the HDDs as they are 8TB HGST drives at 7200 which host my plex server media etc so I'm kinda stumped here.

Anyone who could shed a little light on this I'd REALLY appreciate. I know 30-40 secs seems fast but for an NVME that's very slow and the nvme drivers are installed and updated and I DID NOT install the NVME WD Utilities for the drive as they only load AFTER the boot process and there's nothing in the driver regarding performance anyways, it's just for life of drive and stuff like that, nothing to set regarding performance and crystal Mark reports it reading at over 3000 and writing at about 2800 so the drive is running at full speed at least when windows is loaded and running which is the latest 1809 64-bit pro version with all current updates and zero device manager errors. I also have a 850W power supply (Corsair CX850 modular) so as far as I can tell it MUST be a bios setting but for the life of me I can't figure it out....ugh.

Thank you for any assistance you might be able to provide.
Fas

ASK THE COMMUNITY