Slow boot times with NVMe windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fergus Barker

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
I recently did a clean install of windows 10. Every thing was all good until the first restart, which took an absolute eternity (~10 mins). I finished installing all my drivers and software and my boot times are still slow as hell (4-5 mins) with BIOS times well over 1000 seconds. I have 'Turn on fast start-up' disabled in windows and the fast option enabled in my bios enabled, so I really cant see what the problem is. Before reformatting I was getting sub 10 seconds boot times. Boot times in safe mode vary from 30ish seconds to around 4 minutes as well.

Specs;

CPU: Core I5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
RAM: 16GB @ 2133MHz
MOBO: Asrock fatal1ty gaming k6+
SSD: Samsung MZVLW 128HEGR-00000 (NVMe)
HDD: disconnected for troubleshooting

Fergus Barker

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

Ive installled the latest ones I could fine and no change in boot times. I ran a crystaldisk mark to see if the drive was the issue but its running as fast as it should be.

Fergus Barker

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

yep, I've set the ssd to the top of the boot prioritites list. I've removed all usb devices except the mouse and keyboard with no change in boot times.

Fergus Barker

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

the bios splash screen lasts for around 2 seconds, then the windows boot screen then takes up the rest of the boot time. I have found that if i remove all other internal drives then it boots near instantaneously, but even connecting one drives slows the boot time right down again. so it seems that the additional drives are the issue, but i cant figure out why as they werent connected during windows installation at all.

It takes windows 4-5 minutes to load to the desktop after POST and the time varies by whether the HDD ( others drives as well ? How many ? USB ?) is/are attached to the board ?

When a system first boots the Last Bios Time -time to POST-is recorded in Task Manager/ Start Up. What is the time your system shows ?

Fergus Barker

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

all of the drives are connected internaly using SATA 6Gbps ports apart from the ssd which is connected via m.2, this is the configuration that takes ages to boot. the last bios time is reading 140.2 seconds. I have seen this number approaching 10000 seconds ( although I think windows messed that one up) but i have also seen it as low as 2 or 3 seconds. If i remove all the drives except the ssd the boot time is sub 10 seconds.

Ive tried resetting to default settings in the bios as well as clearing the cmos, but this doesnt have any effect on boot times at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.