[SOLVED] Slow boot with NVMe SSD; long delay before POST/bios logo after powerup

eliu9395

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
Hello,

I've had a problem with boot speeds. When I look at forums or social media, I see people boot in around 10 seconds or less with an SSD. For me, it takes 10 seconds ALONE on a blank screen before the bios even posts, and takes 10-15 more seconds just to finish booting and reach the windows desktop.

Things I've tried but have not noticeably affected boot times:
disconnecting my hard drive, GPU, and 1 out of 2 sticks of ram
disabling some windows services
removing all USB devices including kb+mouse
testing both fast and ultra fast boot in the bios.

Is there anything else I should do that could minimize boot times? Or could this be due to faulty hardware?

Specs:
9700k@4.9Ghz
Gigabyte z390 aorus pro wifi
2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000Mhz ram
HP GTX 1060 3GB
Sabrent Rocket NVMe 500GB SSD (limited by mobo to PCIe 3.0)
WD10EZEX 1TB HDD
Corsair RMi 750 PSU (2018 model)
Windows 11

Solution
  1. I tried disabling every non-Microsoft service, then every service including the Microsoft ones (I know the latter isn't practical).
  2. I'm mainly looking to reduce the 10-second blank screen that comes between power on and post. I don't think anyone else experiences that, and it's almost as long as the rest of the boot process. I'd also like to reduce the rest of the boot time (from post to desktop) if possible, because that still takes around 15 seconds.
  3. For the "full OFF" thing, is it like the "fast startup" setting in windows, and would you recommend it? Or are there other parts to it?
1, and 2. That's useless, windows are not started until after the POST. For faster windows start, cut down on number of Startup...
You say you disabled some services.

If you have 50 services, you could try disabling 10 of them at a time and rebooting after each group was disabled in an attempt to find out which group of 10 contain a culprit. If it is somewhere in this group of 10, then disable them selectively.

If it's service related.

You could try disabling EVERYTHING shown in the startup tab of Task Manager.

However.....like lumbago and itchy skin, boot time envy can be difficult to treat.

Hello,

I've had a problem with boot speeds. When I look at forums or social media, I see people boot in around 10 seconds or less with an SSD. For me, it takes 10 seconds ALONE on a blank screen before the bios even posts, and takes 10-15 more seconds just to finish booting and reach the windows desktop.

Things I've tried but have not noticeably affected boot times:
disconnecting my hard drive, GPU, and 1 out of 2 sticks of ram
disabling some windows services
removing all USB devices including kb+mouse
testing both fast and ultra fast boot in the bios.

Is there anything else I should do that could minimize boot times? Or could this be due to faulty hardware?

Specs:
9700k@4.9Ghz
Gigabyte z390 aorus pro wifi
2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000Mhz ram
HP GTX 1060 3GB
Sabrent Rocket NVMe 500GB SSD (limited by mobo to PCIe 3.0)
WD10EZEX 1TB HDD
Corsair RMi 750 PSU (2018 model)
Windows 11
Half of that time is spent on POST in BIOS and most of that time is spent on "Memory training". BIOS trying to find and set memory to XMP. There should also be a setting for Fast start in BIOS. If you disable Logo during BOOT, you should be able to see what it's doing during the POST stage.

eliu9395

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
Half of that time is spent on POST in BIOS and most of that time is spent on "Memory training". BIOS trying to find and set memory to XMP. There should also be a setting for Fast start in BIOS. If you disable Logo during BOOT, you should be able to see what it's doing during the POST stage.

I already have fast boot enabled. How do I disable memory training?
Also, the post screen doesn’t show anything useful, as seen here:
View: https://imgur.com/a/Y1LvKU4

eliu9395

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
That is not from a full OFF situation.

What specific services did you disable, and why?
What led you to believe those services were the "problem"?

You don't.
What result are you looking for?

Identify the problem before applying a solution.

1. I tried disabling every non-Microsoft service, then every service including the Microsoft ones (I know the latter isn't practical).
  2. I'm mainly looking to reduce the 10-second blank screen that comes between power on and post. I don't think anyone else experiences that, and it's almost as long as the rest of the boot process. I'd also like to reduce the rest of the boot time (from post to desktop) if possible, because that still takes around 15 seconds.
  3. For the "full OFF" thing, is it like the "fast startup" setting in windows, and would you recommend it? Or are there other parts to it?

1, and 2. That's useless, windows are not started until after the POST. For faster windows start, cut down on number of Startup programs, meddling with services can make it worse as they will try alternate ways and so,e are needed for startup anyway and are disabled only after full start spending more time.
3. "The "full OFF"thing", that's when power is shut at PSU. It takes longer time to full POST than when stand by power is on. There is Fast BOOT in BIOS when it skips some tests and uses Last known configuration and test results. Should save few seconds.
"Fast startup" in windows is when they save all open programs during the shutdown and opens them after full BOOT. It doesn't speed up the BOOT process but saves time finding them and starting them manually. Useful only if you gave a program like spread sheet, word etc. to start the work where you stopped previously at shutdown.
If left on Auto, windows will try to check for and look for updates (and apply them) and that can slow process somewhat. You can also start using windows as soon as drivers are loaded and you see desktop, don't have to wait for startup programs to finish loading.

Solution