Slow bootup on transfering OS to a larger SSD

seeker_54

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
I replaced my OS SSD with a new one of larger size. The new SSD is a Kingston HyperX 3K. I cloned the OS using clonezilla which worked perfectly. The problem is that bootup with the new SSD is very slow. The OS boots upto user login screen very quickly, but then it gets stuck and I cannot even put the password. After 3-4 minutes I get the control back. I rebooted the computer hoping that the OS will repair itself, but with no help in speeding up the bootup. I have a Dell Inspiron 570 PC with quad core AMD processor. The OS is Windows 7 64 bit Home premium. Can you please help. Thanks

Solution
Booting from a boot disc has nothing to do with the installation of windows. With no SSD or HDD connected, you should still be able to boot from a CD/DVD, you just won't be able to do anything ;)

seeker_54

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Just installing OS fresh is not such a big problem. One has to install all the applications as well which is a bigger problem. The other point is this OS on new SSD works just fine. Cloning OSs in the way I did is a standard practice. I think I just have a small issue which should be easily rectified. The Windows cannot find some file which is why it is getting stuck. Thanks for your reply, but I do not want to go to the route of reinstalling everything again.

If the current scheme does not work, I have another way out. I can just install the old SSD as well as the new SSD. Now if I make these SSDs dynamic volume, I can span the OS across two SSDs.

seeker_54

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Derek,

I could not figure out how to check the drive without running the benchmark. Anyhow, after running it, AS SSD says

Kingston
501ABBFO
msahci ok - so I guess ahci is ok
103424K - OK ?
111.79GB

The benchmark results were a bit disappointing. This drive is spec'd at over 500 MB/s sequential read and write when attached to SATA3. I have attached it to SATA 2, so I expected about 300 MB/s. However, the benchmark says Sequential read 250 and write 156 MB/s.

"MSAHCI - OK" means that your drive is in AHCI mode.
"103424K - OK" means that your drive is properly aligned.

AS-SSD uses highly incompressible data to test Read/Write speeds.
Advertised speeds for your drive are with ATTO software, which uses highly compressible data to test Read/Write speeds.

seeker_54

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

I tried several versions of Acronis, but the system will not boot from the Acronis CD. It gave the error message:

Acronis fatal error: Boot drive partition not found.

Conezilla worked flawlessly. The system had no problem booting from Clonezilla CD.

I would have to disagree, apparently Clonezilla did not perform flawlessly. :)

dingo07

Distinguished

it sounds like you have the boot order in the BIOS wrong. I would follow the instructions as given in the Installation Guide - I can't imagine this not working properly...
http://media.kingston.com/support/downloads/SH100S3_SH103S3_install.pdf#page2

seeker_54

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

No. The boot order was correct. In fact boot from DVD drive was the first priority, that is why the message about the error comes from Acronis, not from OS. I worked with Kingston support to understand why Acronis would not load. Even they did not understand the problem. They asked me to try different versions of Acronis and also suggested that the problem may be in Windows 7 Home premium. So I even created a CD using my office computer which has WIndows 7 enterprise. None of those Acronis CDs worked. May be best if I ask another person in Kingston.

I have full version of Acronis, which I have not installed. If I install that can I clone a drive without booting from a CD?

seeker_54

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Here is the solution I found with Kingston's help:

I disabled trim. The bootup became fast. Then I reenabled trim. The bootup is still fast.

I do not know how, but I do not have the problem anymore.

TRENDING THREADS