[SOLVED] Slow bootup time even with an SSd

Anookh1

Prominent
Feb 26, 2020
I made a thread about this a while ago and didn't get any replies, so I decided to make one again. As the title says my bootup time is super slow even with an SSD. I've tried everything from disabling all startup programs to reinstalling windows and nothing has helped.

Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 3 2200g
GPU - MSI RX570 8gb
RAM - G.skill Ripjaws 8gb 2734Mhz
Boot Drive - Kingston 120gb SSD

Solution
Your SSD is nearly full, that is why it is running so slow. You need to clean it up. Personally, I would put those E-sports titles on your 1tb, format that 250gb, and do a fresh windows install, on that 250gb. If those E-sports titles are not very big, you could use your 120gb for those, after formatting it.
I made a thread about this a while ago and didn't get any replies, so I decided to make one again. As the title says my bootup time is super slow even with an SSD. I've tried everything from disabling all startup programs to reinstalling windows and nothing has helped.

Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 3 2200g
GPU - MSI RX570 8gb
RAM - G.skill Ripjaws 8gb 2734Mhz
Boot Drive - Kingston 120gb SSD
How much free space do you have on your SSD?

Anookh1

Prominent
Feb 26, 2020
How much free space do you have on your SSD?
Well right now i have just 5gb, however this problem has been happening for a few months now and i JUST recently downloaded some games on the SSD. Back then i only had windows installed on it and still the bootup time was the exact same 44secs according to task manager. So i dont think thats the issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you need more space regardless of boot up time, 5gb is going to make ssd super slow.

minimum size you should have for win 10 is 250gb, anything else is too small... and a storage drive helps too.

what motherboard do you have?

Well right now i have just 5gb, however this problem has been happening for a few months now and i JUST recently downloaded some games on the SSD. Back then i only had windows installed on it and still the bootup time was the exact same 44secs according to task manager. So i dont think thats the issue.
Right now that is far too little free space for it. What is the exact model of your SSD.

Anookh1

Prominent
Feb 26, 2020
you need more space regardless of boot up time, 5gb is going to make ssd super slow.

minimum size you should have for win 10 is 250gb, anything else is too small... and a storage drive helps too.

what motherboard do you have?
I have an Asus Prime B450M-A motherboard

Anookh1

Prominent
Feb 26, 2020

Lutfij

Titan
Thumb rule when you're going to go out shopping for a new SSD(since the one you have right now isn't exactly stellar) whatever you plan on installing and having stored on the primary storage which should ideally be an SSD;
1| make sure you have at least half the SSD empty after all things have been installed so it runs optimally
2| make sure that C drive is the only partition visible when in the OS(apart from system reserved), creating more partitions(outside of the three that the OS needs) will cripple your SSD regardless of what brand you go for.
3| you should be in UEFI BIOS mode with Fast Boot enabled(if you're on Legacy but on the latest BIOS revision)

Reactions: Anookh1

Anookh1

Prominent
Feb 26, 2020
You need more storage, be it a larger SSD, which I highly recommend regardless, and/or an HDD to store things you don't need to access on a regular basis, like documents, downloads, and such.
I do have a 1TB HDD on which i store most my triple a title games and a 250gb M.2 nvme SSD on which i have some esports titles. And I’ve had this SSD for a while and this problem started happening a few months ago, before that it was bootup super fast.

kingston 120gb a400 ssd 2.5'' sata 7mm 2.5-inch sa400s37/120g
That isn't the greatest SSD, but decent, but the size will affect its performance. Depending on when your SSD was made, it will either have 3D-TLC or Toshiba 2D planer TLC for the NAND. Since you are having such horrible performance, I have a feeling it is the later of those. The Toshiba 2D TLC NAND was well known for being slow and not having a lot of space means the pseudo SLC cache is small. Once that cache is used up then it has to write directly to the TLC and that is VERY slow for an SSD.

logainofhades

Titan
Your SSD is nearly full, that is why it is running so slow. You need to clean it up. Personally, I would put those E-sports titles on your 1tb, format that 250gb, and do a fresh windows install, on that 250gb. If those E-sports titles are not very big, you could use your 120gb for those, after formatting it.

Solution
I do have a 1TB HDD on which i store most my triple a title games and a 250gb M.2 nvme SSD on which i have some esports titles. And I’ve had this SSD for a while and this problem started happening a few months ago, before that it was bootup super fast.
That drive also only has a write endurance of 40TBW. You could be to the point of it being worn out if there were needless writes happening.

Lutfij

Titan
Alright, now you need to be specific here, what is the make of the NVMe SSD? You're supposed to be listing all specs at the initial post. This is one of those circumstances where you fell into a crater. If your NVMe drive is one made by Samsung and it's the 970 Evo/Evo plus, well, you're best flipping your SSD loadout/usage scenario having the OS and perhaps the games on the NVMe and the rest on the A400.

FYI, if you're on esports titles, what sort of a benefit have you noticed with the games being on the NVMe?

Fingers crossed to not learn later down the road that you have a badly built PSU in that rig.

Last edited:

Anookh1

Prominent
Feb 26, 2020
Alright, now you need to be specific here, what is the make of the NVMe SSD? You're supposed to be listing all specs at the initial post. This is one of those circumstances where you fell into a crater. If your NVMe drive is one made by Samsung and it's the 970 Evo/Evo plus, well, you're best flipping your SSD loadout/usage scenario having the OS and perhaps the games on the NVMe and the rest on the A400.

FYI, if you're on esports titles, what sort of a benefit have you noticed with the games being on the NVMe?

Fingers crossed to not learn later down the road that you have a badly built PSU in that rig.
Sorry about that, I have a Corsair Force Series MP510 240gb NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 m.2 SSD, up to 480mb/s. I have Rainbow 6 Siege and COD MW on this drive. I used to have this on my 1TB WD Blue HDD, however when i joined a game my HDD would struggle to load in big maps of the game and I'd be the only one loading in the loading screen while everyone else was done. Switching to the M.2 SSD really made a huge difference and it loads almost instantly

Sorry about that, I have a Corsair Force Series MP510 240gb NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 m.2 SSD, up to 480mb/s. I have Rainbow 6 Siege and COD MW on this drive. I used to have this on my 1TB WD Blue HDD, however when i joined a game my HDD would struggle to load in big maps of the game and I'd be the only one loading in the loading screen while everyone else was done. Switching to the M.2 SSD really made a huge difference and it loads almost instantly
What motherboard do you have? At this point I'm thinking your best bet would be to turn your NVMe SSD into your boot drive just like @logainofhades said. Then purchase a new SSD in the 1TB range to hold your games, this can be an NVMe like the WD SN550 if you have an extra NVMe M.2 slot or a 1TB SATA SSD.

TRENDING THREADS