Eyan32

Honorable
Aug 15, 2015
I just a bought a new laptop, specifically an Acer Nitro 5. The specs are i5-8300h and 4 gb ram with GTX 1050 4GB and 1 tb hdd. It has a slow bootup, about 1 min - 2 mins. Is it because of lack of RAM? Or is it because I do not have an ssd? I tried making my GTX 1050 the main graphics in this laptop. I don't know if I did or did not do the right thing, but it didn't help. Anyone know how to switch the GTX 1050 to be the main card? Or does the problem persist because of lack of RAM/SSD? I also experience a bit of hang while using firefox and chrome. Even file explorer is sometimes hanging. There's also this long black screen,.about 30 or more seconds, before I can type in my password.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Eyan32

Honorable
Aug 15, 2015
"Or is it because I do not have an ssd? "
I would say this.
I would say my boot times are about 1/3 of what they used to be with SSDs instead of HDDs.
what was your boot time before you had an ssd? I didn't expect it to be this slow just because of 4gb ram and no ssd... Sorry if I'm a complete beginner here.

Eyan32

Honorable
Aug 15, 2015
I think it's not normal for it to take this long for this specs(i5 8300h, 1tb hdd, 4 gb RAM, 4gb GTX 1050)... Or is it? It takes like 1-2 min to boot to log in... It's really frustrating. Will adding ssd or ram will really take care of the problem?

Eyan32

Honorable
Aug 15, 2015
Update; I tried disabling the integrated gpu. The loading of acer logo became faster but there is still a black screen before logging in to the account that takes about a min. This also occurs after I log in to my windows account... Any help please?

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Setting GTX as the default GPU isn't going to change anything. It's best to keep the original settings but if you want, you can change the preference from power settings.

The problem is likely your HDD and possibly the bloatware installed on your laptop.

Even 1 minute time is too much for a laptop with those specifications.

It's best to upgrade to an M.2 SSD like Crucial P1 or Intel 660p but a black screen is not a good sign. Make sure the bios and gpu drivers are up to date and the laptop is free from malwares.

Eyan32

Honorable
Aug 15, 2015
Setting GTX as the default GPU isn't going to change anything. It's best to keep the original settings but if you want, you can change the preference from power settings.

The problem is likely your HDD and possibly the bloatware installed on your laptop.

Even 1 minute time is too much for a laptop with those specifications.

It's best to upgrade to an M.2 SSD like Crucial P1 or Intel 660p but a black screen is not a good sign. Make sure the bios and gpu drivers are up to date and the laptop is free from malwares.
How do I make sure I remove all the bloatwares and malware completely? Any recommended apps?

Also, will optimizing my drivers can possibly solve the problem?

Last edited:

Eyan32

Honorable
Aug 15, 2015
Okay, I just did a full restart on the laptop. Will this remove all the apps that I had when I first bought it? Like the Acer program or some apps related to that?

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Download and run a full scan of Malwarebytes Anti-malware.

Run a full Antivirus scan and clean all the problems.

If you think there's adwares installed on your laptop, also run adwcleaner.

Then open run type in msconfig and hit enter. Now disable all 3rd party startups and services. Make sure to hide all microsoft services first and in services only let MS Operating system run.

Defragment the HDD and run disk clean up from C drive properties.

If you follow this, you laptop will boot under 30 sec.

To update display drivers, right click on my computer, then click on manage, then then go to
device manager > display adapter and then right click on the GPU and update driver software.

Eyan32

Honorable
Aug 15, 2015
Download and run a full scan of Malwarebytes Anti-malware.

Run a full Antivirus scan and clean all the problems.

If you think there's adwares installed on your laptop, also run adwcleaner.

Then open run type in msconfig and hit enter. Now disable all 3rd party startups and services. Make sure to hide all microsoft services first and in services only let MS Operating system run.

Defragment the HDD and run disk clean up from C drive properties.

If you follow this, you laptop will boot under 30 sec.

To update display drivers, right click on my computer, then click on manage, then then go to
device manager > display adapter and then right click on the GPU and update driver software.
Okay, i will do this when i have time. But I'm going to update on what happened when I did a full reset. I also followed some yt vids on how to speed up boot up time. Like deleting the %temps% and such. I also deleted some app packages in windows powershell and also did a offline scan in windows defender for malware.

The boot time is still the same, if not, even worse. It takes about 3 to 5 mins to boot. So much black screen too. I cannot even open the file explorer without waiting. When I tried to install R program or any other program that is in admin mode, it goes black screen. I tried waiting for about 5 mins but it's still black screen. Because of this, I have no choice but to force restart thru the power button. This occcured twice in a row when i tried installing this program. It did happen to some program that needs to run in admin mode too. I also received a message once that says "Error: out of memory" in one more attempt in installing. Firefox and Chrome will always take about 1-2 mins to open and also has a high rate closing on its own. There are even dead pixels sometimes but it goes away. Chrome also had a problem once that says "not enough memory to open this page". I didn't even open it so there should be no cache. There's just so much lag and i cannot even open any apps without waiting. The integrated graphics and dedicated are all updated so no worries about that.

Is this really normal? I sense a defective hdd. When my brother went to the store where I bought it and asked for assistance, they said it's because there's no ssd. It's not gonna take 2 mins to boot this given with the specs tho? Also, I have a friend who have exactly the same model as mine. 4gb ram, i5, no ssd, 1tb hdd, gtx 1050. He did admit at first that it was slow but I'm assuming it's because there's no downloaded drivers yet. His laptop didn't acted like this the last time we met.

It's still on warranty tho. Should I ask for a replacement?

Eyan32

Honorable
Aug 15, 2015
Update: we tried a full reset but this time with usb now. I'm gonna inform if anything ever change. We'e also going to partition the drive.

Update 2: it's much faster than before. It doesn't take too much to open apps. Gotta wait about 10-15 seconds after logging in from profile to have a good performance, which is forgiving I guess
But I literally have no apps that does a heavy startup so I don't know anymore. The boot time is still around 1 minute and 30 seconds, I calculated it with a timer. Is this really normal? Is this some bottleneck issue?

I also did the adwcleaner and malwarebytes. No threats detected. The boot up is still the same... I gotta confirm to my friend who have the same laptop if we have the same boot up time. I'm kinda regretting on buying this now, this is not what I expected for the performance...

Just for clarification again, the specs are i5-8300h (4 cores, 8 threads, @ 2.3 ghz), GTX 1050 4GB, 4GB RAM and a 1TB HDD.

Last edited: