Question Slow Browser Speed with Fast Connection and New PC

Mar 19, 2024
A couple days ago I received my new PC (specs below). All the hardware is pretty much top or near top tier, so I can't figure out why I'm having this problem. I had ZERO issues with this on my previous PC that was a 7 year old dinosaur. In fact, I still don't. I booted it up again and ran it to test and see if it would do the same thing as my new PC. So here's the problem...

When my computer is first turned on I have fast browser search/page load times. Then over the course of a hour or two the speed get's slower and slower until eventually web pages and searches time out and won't load. When that happens I restart my computer and browsers are fast again like nothing happened. It's a never ending loop. It happens regardless of what browser I'm using. Edge, Firefox and Chrome. Below are the things I have tried. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

- Uninstalled browsers (completely) and reinstalled them.
- Speed tests on multiple websites. They all say that I have an extremely fast connection speed.
- Ensured drivers are all up to date.
- Turned off hardware acceleration.
- Disabled IPv6
- Having my VPN on or off.
- Power cycled my modem and checked all physical connections.
- Cleared cookies/cache
- Removed extensions
- System scan with Bitdefender: Total Security
- Used HWMonitor to see if anything is running abnormally. Nothing is.

*System Specs*
Windows 11 Home
Intel i9-14900K
ASUS Prime Z790-P
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16GB
Kingston KF560C36-16 6000MT/s DDR5 x2 for 32GB
1000W ATX 80 Plus Gold
CM MasterLiquid ML360

Mar 19, 2024
Did you check CPU and memory usage when it's slow?

Also check Event Viewer, Administrative Events
CPU usage is around 3-8% and Memory is in the 20's when the internet bogs down. I just performed a memory diagnostic test and there were no errors.

Nothing stood out in event viewer other than some kernal-power 41 (63) logs that seem to match up with when I restart it because of the slow browser speed. The computer has never crashed or shut down randomly on its own. I'm wondering if that could just be fixed by adjusting my power settings for the hard disk. It's set to 20min, but I'll set it at 0 now.

Last edited:
This sounds more like some cache in the browser but you have tried multiple browsers. Maybe your router has a issue with its dns cache. Try setting the dns to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 in the IPv4 settings. Your vpn should have bypassed the router dns so this may make no difference.

Maybe some basic test to see what is really being affected. A basic ping to 8.8.8.8 when it is good and when it is bad should show if your basic network and internet are good. What happens if you run a speedtest. If the speed is mostly the same then it become more complex. You would suspect DNS or browser code issues but you will have mostly eliminated these by your prior tests.

If you get desperate try to boot a linux USB image. Most have a browser built in. These run from the USB stick and will not damage your windows install. You are pretty limited when running linux like this but if you can tolerate running the browser long enough to see if it slows down it would tell you it is some crap in windows and maybe reinstalling the OS will fix the unknown issue.

Although it doesn't tend to cause this issue I would look for any so called QOS or "gamer" networks software. A common name is cfosspeed. This tends to be installed with the bloatware that comes with motherboards and video cards. Asus is one of the worst offenders. Not really likely but that software is my favorite thing to hate on and serves no purpose.