Question Slow computer after Blue Screen. Games and computer use 2x more time to load

Jun 6, 2020
Laptop: MSI GP63 Leopard 8RE
Graphics Adapter: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, 6GB
CPU: IntelCore i7-8750H
Memory: 8GB
Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~2201 Mhz

While I was talking to a friend on discord and browsing on chrome, then all of a sudden I got a Blue Screen. That never happened before. As a consequence my computer is incredibly slow. Games that used to run on 70 fps goes down to 6 fps. It can take 2 minutes for me to close a game, and simply going to Options in-game takes about a minute. What I noticed is that it uses incredibly long time to load items such as areas and textures while in-game. Say something explodes next to me the fps drops down to 5.
Trying google chrome and Firefox it also uses very long time as in loading. Even ''app needs administrator permission'' takes longer to pop up. Simply typing text in the search bar takes some time for the text to be typed in.
Windows uses a lot of time to load the stuff in my folders and such.
I can't explain enough how this drives me crazy and frustrated.

Attempted solutions:
  • Went to system restore and went back 4 hours before the Blue screen
  • Full virus scan from Avast and Malwarebytes. Nothing
  • Defrag and optimized both C and D drive. (Made no difference)
Note. In larger and demanding games, I've had problems with fps and loading lag in games with larger maps. Defragging and optimized seemed to fix the time computer uses to load assets. But this time it made no difference)

In the past I tried to completely reset Windows and wipe out all drives but that's impossible since I get the message ''There was a problem in resetting your pc''

Right now I'm completely clueless and I hope anyone have a solution. Thank you

Lutfij

Titan
Defragmenting anything only leads to the path downhill with your storage. If you did it on your SD, then well, it's just killed it a little.

Which BIOS version are you currently working with? On that note, which version of Windows 10 are you on? Might want to see what the resource usage is on your laptop, via Task Manager when you experience the issues(lag).

Jun 5, 2020
Do you know what was the error of the blue screen at that time ? That could help us diagnose the problem. The first thing I would do as lutfij said it update the BIOS you can download it there. Then make sure that you have latest GPU drivers install through nvidia Gforce experience, you can also download them from nvidia's website directly.

Jun 6, 2020
Hey guys. Thanks for replying.

Defragmenting anything only leads to the path downhill with your storage. If you did it on your SD, then well, it's just killed it a little.

Which BIOS version are you currently working with? On that note, which version of Windows 10 are you on? Might want to see what the resource usage is on your laptop, via Task Manager when you experience the issues(lag).
I'm not sure about the defragging making it worse. I had this similar problem with pc suddenly being slow with certain games and giving me Loading Lag. And doing a Defrag and optimized made the games go smoothly... Until I got the blue screen. And defragging again overnight didn't work.

I have BIOS version: American Megatrends Inc. E16P5IMS.110, 2019/05/20
OS version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362
I have done a clean boot before and killed unnecessary background apps, but sadly that didn't make any difference either..
Something must have happened internally as my laptop was quick as it could be until I got that blue screen which made it slower.

I see on the MSI's laptop support page that the latest is in 2019/08/23. but viewing system info the date still says 2019/05/20 after installing. However the ''E16P5IMS.110'' is the same name as the folder I downloaded from the support page.

Do you know what was the error of the blue screen at that time ? That could help us diagnose the problem. The first thing I would do as lutfij said it update the BIOS you can download it there. Then make sure that you have latest GPU drivers install through nvidia Gforce experience, you can also download them from nvidia's website directly.

My apologies, I just remembered I took a picture of the blue screen. it said on the bottom:
Stop Code: SYSTEM_SERVICE EXCEPTION
What failed: aswStm.sys

But it is weird that it caused my computer to load things slowly than usual.

Graphics driver and other drivers are already up to date.