Slow compuuter

PattiChati

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
My computer is very slow, takes forever for every page on the web, my yahoo, Facebook, everything to open up. I have Windows 7 and plenty of ram. I know you probably need more information, but don't know what you need. I wonder if there are some programs on here that are slowing things down. I have checked for viruses, done scans, only have 3 things checked in msconfig to run, can't remember what else.
Hopefully someone will know EXACTLY what is wrong LOL.
I would appreciate any help. Thanks

try running open hardware monitor and see what your cpu and gpu temps are if the cpu or gpu are running hot there going to throttle them back. also check to see if you have more then one anti virus software running. i see pc slow down a lot when there more then one of them installed.

PattiChati

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
I sure appreciate your help - but I don't understand what you are saying. I love being on the computer, but know nothing about it. Could you give me steps on how to do this. Also, I can take screen shots of different areas if that would help. Thanks so much.
I also check send email when there is an answer, but it doesn't come to me. I am glad I just got on this site again and checked.

What did you run a virus scan with?
How long since you last re-installed Windows on the system?
Normal users tend to install every shiny glowing thing that is found on the internet and end up with 3-4 toolbars, a dozen shopping and weather programs, etc... all those slow things down.
Best thing is to backup your files and settings and use the restore disks that came with your system to bring it back to factory defaults.

PattiChati

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
malware, cCleaner, malware bytes, microsoft essentials
I did a reinstall of windows, not a clean install, about 6 months ago. It was working fine until about 3-4 weeks ago. I don't think I have the knowledge to do a clean install, it would really scare me that I would lose some important files.

You can try to go to an earlier Windows Restore Point before this happened. Although that rarely fixes anything.

Also make sure you are not running more than one anti-virus software and don't have a buch or resident programs that use the internet running.

blade of grass

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

Analyse your disk and clean with CCleaner.
Then do a registry scan and let it fix all issue, that should help.
Also, de-fragment your disk (if it is an HDD, if its an SSD do NOT do this).
Delete programs that you don't use.

if your using a wifi network..check to see if you left it open and have leaches in it. (people sucking your bandwith).
check to see that you have the newest netowork drivers for your network card. boot into safe mode f8 with networking...see if the speed is faster...if it is then there a program or malware that causing you an issue. from there i would use msconfig and under the start up tab turn everything off.

PattiChati

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
This is the task manager, does this help? It is so frustrating whenever I go to open anything it takes forever, that little round circle goes around and around and then says its timed out. Hopefully this will gve you some incite

kshitijmd

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Question is, what internet speeds are you paying for?

I think the problem is probably an outdated version of Java. Update Java and chances are you'll see an improvement.

And what in the world is "SnipingTool.exe" ?

PattiChati

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
I guess snipping tool something that windows forum 7 have me install, I don't know, I thought it was always there???? I don't know what my internet is providing me in speed but I am paying extra for their best speed. It goes fast for awhile after I talk to you guys in a forum and give me ideas and then it goes back to slow again. I was in Windows 7 forum and they booted me out and didn't give me a reason why? That is where all my info is. Oh well!