[SOLVED] Slow Death - Requiring Power Cycle

Oct 3, 2020
Core Spec:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB White PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2666MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB + EZDIY-FAB New PCI Express 16x Riser + ABNO1 PSU Cable Kit
OS HDD: Crucial CT250MX200SSD4 M.2
PSU: EVGA 650 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 650W, Semi-Modular
MB: X570 AORUS PRO
BIOS: F31o

Peripherals:

Elgato HD60 S
Logitech HD Webcam C270
Nikon DSLR

Issue:

Slow lockup and eventual death requiring a power cycle - this can be at any time

Some windows/applications may become unresponsive with others responsive for a short while until a full lockup, task manager will remain responsive but not long enough to try an explorer.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a PC lockup behave in this way so I'm attempting to write this down and may well use this post to track what I try to narrow down what's causing it.

I don't get a BSOD or event viewer entries to give me any clues.

If anyone has any ideas on where to head first I'm open! :)

Possible causes:

Quality of parts poor:
EZDIY-FAB New PCI Express 16x Riser
ABNO1 PSU Cable Kit

The OS was cloned from a standard SSD

Tested so far:

New GPU

To Test:

1 Week without - EZDIY-FAB New PCI Express 16x Riser
1 Week without - ABNO1 PSU Cable Kit
New OS Install

Last edited:
Solution
Backup any and/or all critical content from the platform and make preps for a reinstall of your OS. Fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Prior to reinstalling the OS, breadboard the system without the riser cable and the cable extensions. Then make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard(which you didn't mention). If you have a number of updates to cross before you reach the latest on the motherboard's support site, gradually work your way to the latest, don't jump to the latest.

Hope that helps.

Lutfij

Titan
Backup any and/or all critical content from the platform and make preps for a reinstall of your OS. Fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Prior to reinstalling the OS, breadboard the system without the riser cable and the cable extensions. Then make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard(which you didn't mention). If you have a number of updates to cross before you reach the latest on the motherboard's support site, gradually work your way to the latest, don't jump to the latest.

Hope that helps.

Solution
Oct 3, 2020

Hope that helps.

Thank you, I've added my BIos to the post, went to do some googles on it and it looks like it's been pulled from the site

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/comments/k7x4he/f31_bios_pulled_from_website_aorus_master_x570/

I'll upgrade to the next one up F32 and see what behaviours I get.

Thanks again!