Slow defragmentation

InfidelPimp

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
That's actually pretty zippy for a defrag.

When you defrag, you're copying the file from many different disk locations and then writing it onto the same disk, in a different, contiguous location, so yes, it's much slower than a normal file copy because of all the seek operations, and the fact that you read from and write to the same physical disk.

Your drive needs to find the file fragment, then read it, then find the new location and then write it, for every fragment and/or data block.

So, nothing unexpected... just start your defrags before you go to bed, or work, or whatever, and come back to a [probably] defragmented disk.

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
not to mention moving other files out of the way so everything ends up fitting nose to tail when it's all done.

Full defragmentation (called optimization by some utilities) has always been a slow laborious process but it's usually only necessary about once a month at most. Start it before you go to bed and forget about it.

micnolmad

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

Hm I fully disagree. Take a look at the same defrag procedure on my gaming rig.. it's a athlon ii x4 and a wd 150gb raptor. That is the same performance I get from a simple copy and paste operation. If this machine can do it on defrag, why can't the other?

The difference in systems is:
■Game pc: quad core, much more computing power, single 10K rpm drive, ntfs
■HT pc: dual core atom, very little computing power, raid 1, 7200 rpm drives, exfat

I have just ran a defrag on my C drive which is the same two psychical drives as the exfats (D drive) but with ntfs. The speeds were normal copy and paste speeds getting up to the theroretical limit as the gaming pc did.

So I can only conclude that defrag programs have a very odd way to defrag exfat drives which are not chip based.
bf0wmu.png

I don't know anything about the technicals of defragging but I don't see why there is a need for a defrag to be different from a copy. The way I see it is when I copy a file that is fragmented, the disk still needs to seek the parts and write to a new location. How is that different from a defrag operation?

A full defrag of this machine takes about 36 hours.. :heink:

As said, I don't know much if anything about the techincals of defragging but from my understanding of Defraggler in defrag only mode is to not do that. It will only seek to defrag fragmented files fitting them in the first place where they fit completely and move on. It does not touch the other files, e.i. it does not consolidate or optimize. That is why I don't understand the slow speeds.

Thank you for your input guys. If I come off in a negative way, I apologize. I am not an native english speaking person so I don't have the finer understandings of the language.

Please comment with further input if you have any. There must be a way to defrag exfat drives at same speeds as other fs..

micnolmad

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Thanks sewalk, I have tried perfectdisk and defraggler. They both have the same speeds within 5%. I doubt I will find a defrag app that can do it otherwise and if I can, I will try to convert the FS to ntfs. ExFAT is just too poorly implemented in defrag apps or windows for defragging.

Thanks for the help guys.

micnolmad

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
I think I will use my trusty paragon tool if it can but thanks :)

EDIT:
Paragon Partition Manager 11 PE Can't convert exfat to anything while it is on a HDD. I don't know if it can handle exfat on a usb drive or flash drive..