Question Slow desktop internet speed

Jul 29, 2020
I have an almost 3 year old Dell desktop with an integrated Qualcomm wifi card. Since having to be on more remote meetings these days, I have noticed that my connection not infrequently freezes (especially on Zoom). When using my laptop, which is older than the desktop, I do not have these problems. I have updated all the drivers for the wifi. As my home office is as far away from my router as possible (unavoidable) I recently switched to a mesh network (one node sitting in the home office) which, while increasing internet speeds, has not fixed the Zoom freezes. Wondering if I should upgrade the wifi card, somehow extend/boost the current wifi card or if there is another potential fix. Thoughts would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding the "integrated Qualcomm wifi card. " Make and model?

Any external antennas? If so, are the antennas full and firmly in place and angled per instructions? Any use of, or options for, antenna extenders?

Is it possible for you to borrow a USB wifi network adapter and connect it to the Dell desktop with a USB extension cable?

Use the extension cable to raise the USB wifi network adapter up and away from the back or front of Dell desktop. Hopefully where TX (transmission) and RX (reception) are more favorable. TX is the weak link. Wireless adapter can receive but is not transmitting a constant strong signal.

With a combination of a new wireless adapter and more control over its' location you may be able to regain both some additional % of performance and stability.

Remember to disable the existing Qualcomm wifi card and ensure that any wired Ethernet network adapters are likewise disabled.

Jul 29, 2020
Thanks for the thoughts.

Qualcomm QCA9565 802.11b/g/n adapter

No external antennas and the card doesn't even have a way to connect one (no connectors). Since the CPU sits in a drawer under the desk I think the point about interference with TX and RX is a good one. Unfortunately I do not have any free USB ports to plug in a new USB wireless card with an antenna so it looks like I'll need to try a new integrated card but just get one like was suggested in the 1st response that has external antennas.

The mesh was for general wifi issues in multiple parts of the house so I was going to have done it anyway.

TRENDING THREADS