[SOLVED] Slow download on my computer

Achmedsback

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
Hello anyone who can aid me, I have been struggling with this for over a year now and have now isolated my network speed issue to my computer. First thing is my setup and speed,
My general speeds on my desktop vary from 220-270(maxed at 306) Mbps down and 15-25Mbps up, Laptop is consistently over 850Mbps down and 25-30Mbps up and both have about 5-6ms ping
ISP speeds - 940Mbps/35Mbps verified by the ISP techs
modem and router are 10/100/1000 and I am getting around 870Mbps on my laptop on the same network, eliminated a switch and still have the same issue.
Cat5E network cable
Using MSI x470 gaming pro carbon motherboard with 10/100/1000 port and all drivers updated and I have been working on varying the bios settings to no avail.
Only have 5 devices on the network, xbox and 4 computers (only 2 are ever on at any given time)

With that all being said I should be getting the provided speeds or something close to it. I'm shooting for somewhere around 750mbps

My troubleshooting;
hardware:
I changed motherboards (RMA) and reinstalled windows which is where I was thinking that the issue was the network
A few months later I bought a new motherboard for other reasons and installed fedora and got the speeds I was anticipating at work and quickly switched to windows when I took it home getting slow internet I thought it was the network.
I moved out of my old mans house where he wouldn't let me use ethernet and excited I setup my network the way I wanted to and noticed the fast speed on my laptop but not my desktop
Called the ISP just for verification and a tech verified that he was getting 960+ signal and
Swapped cables, modems, and removed all non-essential devices
Tested with a functioning 10Gbps NIC and shielded cat7 on a 10Gb network at work and still nothing (I know it's not a standard)
Removed all PCIE devices except graphics card because I thought that maybe I was restricting the network port due to overloaded PCIE lanes

Software: given that the hardware didn't seem to change
Verified that my CPU wasn't under too much load and it peaks at 50% when I'm doing anything intense
Looked for background programs, even as far as wireshark to see what was happening and nothing extreme to bog down the computer
Refreshed the network and flushed the dns - sped it up a little to about 290-300Mbps
Disabled large send off load for ipv4 and ipv6
Changed DNS - I ran the namebench dns benchmark and the dns I had been using was the best option
Disabled windows autotuning and that dropped my speed down to 110Mbps so I reverted it.
Cleared out intel software and even tried using older intel software. (DO NOT DO THIS it caused me a huge headache of downloading everything on another computer and moving it by thumbdrive to the desktop)

My guess is that it's something with windows or a bios setting that was changed on an updated bios because I have had this issue on a clean install and two motherboards later. I also want to reiterate the success with Fedora when I got my new motherboard and tested in the office on a 10Gbps network and I was getting a full 900+ on the motherboard network

Solution
For anyone who may be in the same situation I was in I found a solution. Short story is that windows was corrupted.

Additional steps I took before I found my solution
  1. I reset all bios settings just in case my OC failed and changed something accidentally
  2. I reinstalled/uploaded the BIOS
  3. Backed up all files and tried a windows reset to keep files and it fixed it. There was something that wasn't installed correctly and this fixed it.
*note all my files were still there but some programs needed to be reinstalled.

Achmedsback

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
This is how I did software troubleshooting if anyone is interested.

Solution 1. Refresh Network.

1. Open CMD as an administrator mode.
  2. Type in the following,

ipconfig /release <Press Enter>
ipconfig /renew <Press Enter>
ipconfig /flushdns <Press Enter>
ipconfig /registerdns <Press Enter>
nbtstat -rr <Press Enter>
netsh int ip reset all <Press Enter>
netsh winsock reset <Press Enter>

3. Check to see whether or not the problem has been resolved, recommend restart afterwards.

Solution 2. Disable Large Send Offload (LSO).

If you’re experiencing slow LAN speed on your Windows 10 PC, the issue might be a Large Send Offload feature. In order to solve the problem, you just need to disable this feature by doing the following:

1. Press Windows Key + X and choose Device Manager from the list.
  2. Double-click on your Network Card and click on the Advanced tab.
  3. Select Large Send Offload V2 (IPv4) and set the value to Disabled.
  4. Do the same for Large Send Offload V2 (IPv6).
  5. Click OK.

Solution 3. Change your DNS settings

If you’re having issues with slow LAN speed, the problem might be your DNS.

This issue is usually related to your ISP and its DNS, but you can always change your DNS. This process is relatively simple, and you can do it by following these steps:

1. Type Network and Sharing Center. Select the first result.
  2. Go to Change adapter settings, right-click the Ethernet network interface, and select Properties
  3. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and go to Properties.
  4. Select the “Use the following DNS server addresses” option and type your preferred and alternate DNS addresses.
  5. You can use Google’s Public DNS addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, OpenDNS addresses 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 or other DNS addresses.
  6. Check to see whether or not the problem has been resolved.

Solution 4. Disable windows auto tuning
Type the command “netsh interface tcp show global” into the command prompt box (without quotation marks) to view the configuration options of the computer in question.
If the option “Receive Window Auto Tuning Level” has a setting of “normal” next to it, the Window Auto Tuning Feature is currently enabled.

To disable the feature, type the command “netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled” into the box on screen (without quotation marks) and hit “Enter” on your computer’s keyboard.
The Window Auto Tuning feature will now be disabled.

Achmedsback

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
For anyone who may be in the same situation I was in I found a solution. Short story is that windows was corrupted.

Additional steps I took before I found my solution
  1. I reset all bios settings just in case my OC failed and changed something accidentally
  2. I reinstalled/uploaded the BIOS
  3. Backed up all files and tried a windows reset to keep files and it fixed it. There was something that wasn't installed correctly and this fixed it.
*note all my files were still there but some programs needed to be reinstalled.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS