[SOLVED] Slow download speed on new computer

Aug 7, 2020
I have just got a new computer in and the download speed is about 1/3 of what I usually get. I usually get around 30 mbps and had this speed on my old computer just two days ago. I did not change any of the equipment I used to get this speed before, same Ethernet cable and same network power line adaptor. I tried replacing both of these components however I received no improvement. I have been on pretty much every forum thread with people encountering the same sort of issue however none of their solutions have done me any good. I have tried reinstalling and downloading the newest drivers for my motherboard and network adaptors, reinstalled windows, checked for windows updates over and over again; this is just to name a few of the things I have tried. From what I have tested it must be an internal error as I tried to hook my desktop directly to my modem which has a speed of about 40mbps on any other device hooked up to it and it still stayed at about 9-10 mbps. I am hoping there is a really obvious solution that I have not tried yet so please don't hesitate to suggest anything as I am losing the will here so thanks in advance!

edit
I forgot to mention that my ping and upload speed are unaffected and are the same as what they were before.

Solution
Just had a look in properties and it is set to a 10/10 mbps limit. After this I found a lot of people being told that their ethernet cable is the problem but I have already tried changing my ethernet cables around with ones that I know can output decent speeds and no luck. I also tried changing my speed and duplex setting from it being determined automatically to 100mbps half duplex and no change, I then tried all the other speed and duplex settings and no change.
In the device manager, ensure that your adapter is set to AUTO for speed and duplex. Setting it manually is the wrong approach.
Start with a brand new cat5e 100% copper cable like this --...

kanewolf

Titan
I have just got a new computer in and the download speed is about 1/3 of what I usually get. I usually get around 30 mbps and had this speed on my old computer just two days ago. I did not change any of the equipment I used to get this speed before, same Ethernet cable and same network power line adaptor. I tried replacing both of these components however I received no improvement. I have been on pretty much every forum thread with people encountering the same sort of issue however none of their solutions have done me any good. I have tried reinstalling and downloading the newest drivers for my motherboard and network adaptors, reinstalled windows, checked for windows updates over and over again; this is just to name a few of the things I have tried. From what I have tested it must be an internal error as I tried to hook my desktop directly to my modem which has a speed of about 40mbps on any other device hooked up to it and it still stayed at about 9-10 mbps. I am hoping there is a really obvious solution that I have not tried yet so please don't hesitate to suggest anything as I am losing the will here so thanks in advance!

edit
I forgot to mention that my ping and upload speed are unaffected and are the same as what they were before.
You need to tell us the complete hardware configuration of the PC.
Did you do a clean OS install or are you reusing a previous Windows install?
Have you verified the speed without the powerline adapters?

Aug 7, 2020
I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro.

PC Build:
PSU: Corsair CX650
CPU: i7 9700k
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB
Hard drive: 1tb Seagate Barracuda
Motherboard: Asus prime Z390-P
with integrated network card

I tried speed tests on my mobile phone which got about 25 mbps in the same spot that my PC is in and when I hooked the desktop directly to my router via ethernet cable I still got 9-10 mbps download.

kanewolf

Titan
I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro.

PC Build:
PSU: Corsair CX650
CPU: i7 9700k
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB
Hard drive: 1tb Seagate Barracuda
Motherboard: Asus prime Z390-P
with integrated network card

I tried speed tests on my mobile phone which got about 25 mbps in the same spot that my PC is in and when I hooked the desktop directly to my router via ethernet cable I still got 9-10 mbps download.
What link speed does windows say your ethernet connection has ?

Aug 7, 2020
Just had a look in properties and it is set to a 10/10 mbps limit. After this I found a lot of people being told that their ethernet cable is the problem but I have already tried changing my ethernet cables around with ones that I know can output decent speeds and no luck. I also tried changing my speed and duplex setting from it being determined automatically to 100mbps half duplex and no change, I then tried all the other speed and duplex settings and no change.

kanewolf

Titan
In the device manager, ensure that your adapter is set to AUTO for speed and duplex. Setting it manually is the wrong approach.
Start with a brand new cat5e 100% copper cable like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Flexboot-Cat5e-Ethernet-Patch/dp/B00KWS7GAC
NO flat cables. No CCA cables.

Solution
Aug 7, 2020
I ordered this ethernet cable :https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XVL3WW5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was as close as I could get to what you described as I live in the UK and the exact one you linked is not available. Unfortunately I have no improvement after restarting my internet and PC. I tested a mobile hotspot strength signal out of curiosity and there was a 425/425 limit on the hotspot's tab in my network settings if that helps at all.

Aug 7, 2020
I ordered this ethernet cable :https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XVL3WW5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was as close as I could get to what you described as I live in the UK and the exact one you linked is not available. Unfortunately I have no improvement after restarting my internet and PC. I tested a mobile hotspot strength signal out of curiosity and there was a 425/425 limit on the hotspot's tab in my network settings if that helps at all.
This is the strength of the powerline adapter's links in my home. I can't seem to attach it so I will send the link: https://prnt.sc/txcd3n