Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2019
Hi, any help will be appreciated.

I pay for 80 mbps from my ISP.

My pc had always had this issue below..

When downloading games I only achieve 1-8mbps. However, when I download one of those file speed checks online a can do a 1gb file in like 2 mins. And Ookla speed test always gives me a score of 60-80 Mbps.

I have updated all recent drivers for my network adapters. I had it in my head it was a hard drive issue as I have had it for a few years so I bought a new one and fully removed the old one and re installed everything.

This happens on Steam Origin Epic Games Microsoft store however I once downloaded a game on the Microsoft store and downloaded at 70 Mbps but when I recently bought another game I got the usual 1-8 Mbps

My Xbox downloads at 70-80 mbs without fail.

I thought it could be just down to high traffic on the servers for the sites but my friend who downloads from the same download region (Manchester UK) gets the expected speeds he pays for.

I have also allowed all sites I mentioned above through windows fire wall.

I am just lost as to what the issue could be.

Any ideas or thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

TIA

Solution
@DSzymborski Sorry I mean Mbps. I know that steam does MB/s. Even when downloading from Origin I get 800 Kbps most of them time on a good day I can get over 1Mbps. Also on all sites the download with just stop every 10 seconds or so to 0 Mbps and then start again. Is this normal?

I will add a screen shot Asap for you.

Im not good with the terminology so please bear with me lol

Thanks for your reply

No worries, just wanted to make sure we were comparing apples-to-apples. You wouldn't believe how many threads are resolved with no problem because of a MBps vs. Mbps confusion!

If ISP isn't the problem and the sitesitself aren't the problem and drivers aren't the problem, then it gets a little trickier. I'd first try a...

Ralston18

Titan
How is your pc connected to the router - wired or wireless? Have you tried another known working, at speed, ethernet cable between pc and router? E.g., borrow the cable from the Xbox.

Do you have access to your router's logs? The logs, if available and enabled, may provide some insight about the download speed.

Mar 9, 2019
@Ralston18 I have a wired connection and use the same cable and I have also replaced the router. If my PC is getting the desired speeds on speed tests etc can this still be an issue with the router?

Also I have had 2 different routers as I change my ISP each year

Any more thoughts, ? Thanks for your reply

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
First thing's first, let's get the terminology correct so that we know what the problem is or whether there is in fact a problem at all. It's very important here.

Mbps is megabits per second. ISP speed is usually give in Mbps.
MBps is megabytes per second. Steam gives expresses the download speed in MB/s.

If your ISP speed is 60 megabits per second download, then the maximum you should expect for your download speed is 7-8 megabytes per second (and it's hard to achieve that ceiling in practice).

Megabits and megabytes are not the same thing (there are 8 bits in a byte). Can you take a screenshot of your Steam download speeds? Gotta make sure we're not about to do a Who's on First? routine.

Mar 9, 2019
@DSzymborski Sorry I mean Mbps. I know that steam does MB/s. Even when downloading from Origin I get 800 Kbps most of them time on a good day I can get over 1Mbps. Also on all sites the download with just stop every 10 seconds or so to 0 Mbps and then start again. Is this normal?

Thanks for your reply

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Thanks for your reply

No worries, just wanted to make sure we were comparing apples-to-apples. You wouldn't believe how many threads are resolved with no problem because of a MBps vs. Mbps confusion!

If ISP isn't the problem and the sitesitself aren't the problem and drivers aren't the problem, then it gets a little trickier. I'd first try a different cable, second I'd try a fresh Windows reinstall, and failing that, buy a small ethernet or wireless adapter for troubleshooting (they're fairly cheap).

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS