[SOLVED] Slow download speed until ethernet cable is unplugged & replugged ?

apalace

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
Usually my download speed from my ISP should be 250Mbps down and 50Mbps up, but the down speed of my wired PC when I test it in any site that provides testing the speed gives me 90Mbps (up speed is fine and reads always 50Mbps) until I unplug the ethernet cable off my PC then plug it back in.

I tried the following:
1- Enabled WWAN and WLAN services in Windows
2- Reseted the internet connection and re-calibrated the internet settings by using this commands followed by ENTER each:
netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled netsh winsock reset netsh int ip reset ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew ipconfig /flushdns
3- Did a clean boot

Nothing of the above methods helped. Same issue, I have to unplug/replug the ethernet cable every time after a restart to get back to the full download speed ?

My Specs:
  • AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor
  • Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
  • Western Digital - Black 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
  • GeForce RTX 2070 Super Video Card
  • PSU : CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
  • Windows 10
Any help please?

Last edited:
Solution
That makes it even more likely it is the cable. The computer can't see cables that are not physically connected to it.

Although in theory it can be the network card you really don't want it to be that. The speed negotiation is mostly a hardware function so if the port is bad you have to replace it and that would mean a new motherboard. You can of course use a add in board.

It is very rare for a port to be bad. A cable is very inexpensive thing to try. Any quality cat5e cable that is pure copper with wire size 22-24 will work.

apalace

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
Almost has to be a bad ethernet cable. 90mbs is the speed you will show when a cable drops to 100mbps. When you replug the cable it test fine a 1gbit but then must see errors after some time and the port will drop to 100mbps.
So you think It is the cable and not the on board network card?
I wanna mention also that even unplugging then replugging the cable off the modem won't solve the problem, I have to unplug it off my PC to get the full speed.

Last edited:
That makes it even more likely it is the cable. The computer can't see cables that are not physically connected to it.

Although in theory it can be the network card you really don't want it to be that. The speed negotiation is mostly a hardware function so if the port is bad you have to replace it and that would mean a new motherboard. You can of course use a add in board.

It is very rare for a port to be bad. A cable is very inexpensive thing to try. Any quality cat5e cable that is pure copper with wire size 22-24 will work.

Solution