[SOLVED] Slow Download Speed Windows 10

bradenterpstra01

Prominent
Mar 22, 2020
Ok, so I have a puzziling question(to me) maybe somebody can explain/figure out.

I have a 100mbps internet connection from my ISP. My internal network speed is 1Gbps(therefore, my network cards/router/switch/etc. are all more than capable of handling 100mbps). Anyway, when downloading large files from the internet on my laptop(~2GB file), it crawls at about 20mbps download speed. When I run speedtest.net on the same computer, it says I'm getting my full 100. Yet, the moment speedtest.net starts its upload test, my download speed for the file from chrome jumps up to 100mpbs. Now explain that to me 🤣. I have a full-duplex network card as well. Not sure why uploading data speeds up my download on Chrome.

Solution
Yeah, I know the difference between Mbps and MBps. But the situation occurs with Google as well. I never had this problem, but even in Google Drive it has slow download speeds. Once I start uploading data(not even with speedtest, just uploading a file), my download speed increases as well. So if I upload to Google and download my other file from some other company/server (say, a Kali ISO), the speed of the download increases. I know how networking works...not sure how that is possible.
there is something going on with the Intel network interface. If I change the speed to 100Mbs full duplex then I get much faster downloads, but now the speed test result is lower and the downloads are capped at 100Mbs of the 1000Mbs I should...

Mohan_27

Reputable
Jun 2, 2017
Hey!

So basically theres two values when it comes to internet. Theres Mbps and Mbps.
Yes I said the same thing, but not really; theres megabits persecond and megabytes per second.

Megabits is the packet transfer of data, whereas megabytes is the file size your trying to download/upload.

There are 8 megabits in 1 megabyte. So lets say my ISP provides me a internet speed of 100mbps or megabits per second, then I would divide the megabytes by 8 (in seconds), which would give me a total of 12.5 megabytes persecond download speed.

Check on this converter to see for yourself!

https://www.google.com/search?clien...hUKEwijzoWb7NjoAhWQYsAKHRZQDukQ4dUDCAs&uact=5

Hoped I answered your question!

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Ok, so I have a puzziling question(to me) maybe somebody can explain/figure out.

I have a 100mbps internet connection from my ISP. My internal network speed is 1Gbps(therefore, my network cards/router/switch/etc. are all more than capable of handling 100mbps). Anyway, when downloading large files from the internet on my laptop(~2GB file), it crawls at about 20mbps download speed. When I run speedtest.net on the same computer, it says I'm getting my full 100. Yet, the moment speedtest.net starts its upload test, my download speed for the file from chrome jumps up to 100mpbs. Now explain that to me 🤣. I have a full-duplex network card as well. Not sure why uploading data speeds up my download on Chrome.
Ok so networking doesn't work like as you think.
You have 100Mbps connection it doesn't mean you will always get 100Mbps. Therr are so many factors involved in it . If i consider your situation as below

1. As you told speedtest.net you were getting 100Mbps. Why because it is selecting the testing server very near to you if you see below in speedtest you will see the server selected very near one to you. And if you can select server manually (there is a option to select manually). Please try to select very far distance one and see how much speed you will get. I bet you will get half of the bandwidth of your connection.

2. Whatever the 2 GB file you are trying to download. What is the location of that file. If it is too far then definately you will get less speed.

3. And it most matter on server where that file resides. Because whoever is hosting that file it could be he is limiting the speed on server for user to download.

4. Otherwise you can try to download internet download manager which can split the file into pieces and make multiple streams which you are downloading and can increase the speed and you will see relief.
Because the one which you are downloading in chrome. It is just sending one stream to download the file and can cause limit the bandwith.

for eg in speedtest where you can select the server. There is an option to choose between multiple or single stream.

by default it will choose multiple stream and you will see full speed.
Choose the single stream and see your speed will degrade little bit than multiple stream.

And there are so many factors which i can come into picture in this situation.

Yet, the moment speedtest.net starts its upload test, my download speed for the file from chrome jumps up to 100mpbs
I guess its just a coincidence. It doesn't like that in network

bradenterpstra01

Prominent
Mar 22, 2020
Yeah, I know the difference between Mbps and MBps. But the situation occurs with Google as well. I never had this problem, but even in Google Drive it has slow download speeds. Once I start uploading data(not even with speedtest, just uploading a file), my download speed increases as well. So if I upload to Google and download my other file from some other company/server (say, a Kali ISO), the speed of the download increases. I know how networking works...not sure how that is possible.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
there is something going on with the Intel network interface. If I change the speed to 100Mbs full duplex then I get much faster downloads, but now the speed test result is lower and the downloads are capped at 100Mbs of the 1000Mbs I should be able to get.

Turns out it was the EEE (energy efficient ethernet) setting for the NIC that for some reason resulted in the slow speeds for gigabit connections. Deselecting it fixed the problem.

View: https://imgur.com/u39kpYI

Reactions: bradenterpstra01
Solution

bradenterpstra01

Prominent
Mar 22, 2020
there is something going on with the Intel network interface. If I change the speed to 100Mbs full duplex then I get much faster downloads, but now the speed test result is lower and the downloads are capped at 100Mbs of the 1000Mbs I should be able to get.

Turns out it was the EEE (energy efficient ethernet) setting for the NIC that for some reason resulted in the slow speeds for gigabit connections. Deselecting it fixed the problem.

View: https://imgur.com/u39kpYI
That solved the problem, thanks!

Reactions: anjris