cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018
Hi guys,

I am having an issue with my download speed. I remember that back in April and May, my wireless desktop PC was able to get about 70 Mbps down and now my down speed is at 10 Mbps. The office computer that is plugged into the modem/router with an ethernet cable is capable of going over 400+ mbps, my desktop computer has a PCI wireless card to connect wirelessly so that I don't have to put a 75 - 100 feet ethernet cable for my two story house. My 3 - 4 year old laptop could get about 20% - 30% less speed then my desktop (back when my desktop could get 70 Mbps).

Note: My wireless desktop PC is now the slowest of all devices for some reason at 10 mbps.

Lastly my house is woodframe and hollow so even my 65 inch 4k TV in the basement could get the signal. My wireless desktop computer is on the second floor adjacent from the modem/router.

Could anybody identify what could be causing my download speed to slow down?

And I know my topic is mostly on the download speed but I also like to point out that the internet keeps disconnecting like 2 - 3 times a day. Why is that? Could that be the cause?

And by the way I am with Xfinity and my modem/router looks like this. (But it has a 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz).

9082028_rd.jpg

First you need to find out if issue is the fact you are using wireless or the actual connection to the internet is slow, need to test a device connected directly to the modem with a cable. Also test things close to the modem since it looks like you only have one device providing WiFi and network connection.

cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018
First you need to find out if issue is the fact you are using wireless or the actual connection to the internet is slow, need to test a device connected directly to the modem with a cable. Also test things close to the modem since it looks like you only have one device providing WiFi and network connection.
I called Xfinity a couple of days ago and it turns out that the router that we have is now becoming outdated and unsupportable with the model I previously had. So I had to upgrade to this specific XB6 model like this one.

18rrqemff4g11.jpg

After plugging this guy in, I now have about solid 25 - 30 mbps on download and it seems to be pretty stable (and best of all no frequent internet disconnection). Basically for internet and gaming needs to have at least 10 mbps for one computer. Not sure how I can improve my download speed to 70 mbps down or more.

cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018
stick with 1 thread
As a nerd here, can anyone tell me why do download speeds all of a sudden start to slow down once you start download big files? So for instance when I have a maximum speed of around 30 mbps for down and when I'm trying to download an 80 Gb worth for Gta V, my computer is now downloading at 10 mbps. (Yes I tested it while using speedtest during download). If I plug in ethernet which can get over 450 mbps for down, it might be possible to download Gta V in like 15 - 20 minutes at least when it would take me a full day on a 10 mbps down. Would anyone care to explain where those 20 mbps are going during download and why I have about 10 left over on down.