[SOLVED] Slow download speeds (1MB/s) mainly on steam

Dec 23, 2022
How can I fix really slow download speed? Normally it was about 10MB/s but after some time it just changed/slowed down to 1MB/s for no reason. One example I have is that on steam normally to download team fortress 2 (about 20 GB) would take me about 30 minutes (more or less I don't remember) but now it takes 2 hours and 44 minutes!

Solution
You can try another cable. It is not real likely but it will rule it out.

Can you try to copy files between machine in your house. Copy large files so it takes some time. You can see the rates in the network tab of the resource monitor....be careful some are MBYTES and others are Mbits
Sorry for the late response, I tried basically everything on my PC but nothing worked. Then considering that troubleshooter message I plugged out and in the cable part that goes into my router and it's fixed now! On speedtest now I get about 94Mb/s so it's about 7MB/s. Thank goodness It worked because if it didn't I probably would have needed a new ethernet cable.
What does speedtest say....remember speedtest is in Mbits where steam is MBYTES.

Are they both slower or is it only steam that is doing it.

It is strange that it is that slow but I tend to never get close the the 1gbit internet speed I have. Some games are much faster than others and I have not bothered to dig around to see if maybe they were using different data centers.

Ralston18

Titan
Could also be slow because of winter itself.

Maybe some cable or connection serving your home/network has deteriorated and no longer capable of higher speeds.

Check all cables, connectors, etc.. Look for signs damage, moisture, cracked insulation, rodent chews, and so forth.

Dec 23, 2022
What does speedtest say....remember speedtest is in Mbits where steam is MBYTES.

Are they both slower or is it only steam that is doing it.

It is strange that it is that slow but I tend to never get close the the 1gbit internet speed I have. Some games are much faster than others and I have not bothered to dig around to see if maybe they were using different data centers.
speedtest: around 9.45 Mb/s not MB/s and since 8Mb/s is 1MB/s that means both are slow

Although I have not seen it in many years you might have a cable/port that is running at 10mbps.

I would first check the ethernet status on your PC to see the speed. Make sure in the setting for the ethernet port it is set to auto.
It could also be the connection between the router and the modem if these devices are physically different boxes. Maybe the light color or something in the router will tell you the speed of that.

Do you have a second device you can test the speed with. This would be the simplest way to rule out the ISP connection as the cause. Even a cell phone on wifi should be able to get over 10mbps.

Dec 23, 2022
Although I have not seen it in many years you might have a cable/port that is running at 10mbps.

I would first check the ethernet status on your PC to see the speed. Make sure in the setting for the ethernet port it is set to auto.
It could also be the connection between the router and the modem if these devices are physically different boxes. Maybe the light color or something in the router will tell you the speed of that.

Do you have a second device you can test the speed with. This would be the simplest way to rule out the ISP connection as the cause. Even a cell phone on wifi should be able to get over 10mbps.

"Do you have a second device you can test the speed with." Yeah I have my phone (I did a speedtest on my phone and I got average speed of 33.13 Mb/s) and my brother's PC, I just checked and on steam he downloads at 5MB/s and me at 1MB/s...

"I would first check the ethernet status on your PC to see the speed. Make sure in the setting for the ethernet port it is set to auto." How do I do that? I assume I go to the "Ip settings and make the "ip assignment" auto? right now it is on "not auto" and there are two DNS written in there

Last edited:
This is where it would be nice to know which microsoft employee thinks changing this stuff all the time is smart. Be nice if users could call them up and ask which guide they should follow.
I used to have pointers to youtube videos but these all depend both on which version of windows you run and even which patch level.
I mean it would be even nicer if I could give you a command you could cut and paste like linux but the idiots that work for microsoft thing everything is a phone and you need to swipe left or right.

You are just going to have to dig around. It is a setting on the ethernet hardware not IP addresses or DNS.

Dec 23, 2022
This is where it would be nice to know which microsoft employee thinks changing this stuff all the time is smart. Be nice if users could call them up and ask which guide they should follow.
I used to have pointers to youtube videos but these all depend both on which version of windows you run and even which patch level.
I mean it would be even nicer if I could give you a command you could cut and paste like linux but the idiots that work for microsoft thing everything is a phone and you need to swipe left or right.

You are just going to have to dig around. It is a setting on the ethernet hardware not IP addresses or DNS.
I ran a troubleshooter, and it gave me this error/text/problem "An Ethernet cable looks like a telephone cable, but has larger connectors on the ends. l push this cable into the slot on the back or side of the computer. Make sure the other end of the cable is connected to the router. If this does not help, use another cable." Should I try to do what the troubleshooter shows? Also if anything doesn't make sense in the brackets, I used a translator since my language isn't english

Last edited:

Can you try to copy files between machine in your house. Copy large files so it takes some time. You can see the rates in the network tab of the resource monitor....be careful some are MBYTES and others are Mbits

Dec 23, 2022

Sorry for the late response, I tried basically everything on my PC but nothing worked. Then considering that troubleshooter message I plugged out and in the cable part that goes into my router and it's fixed now! On speedtest now I get about 94Mb/s so it's about 7MB/s. Thank goodness It worked because if it didn't I probably would have needed a new ethernet cable.

Solution
Could be the cable does not fit properly and if you move it a tiny bit it makes better contact.

If your internet connection is a 100mbps plan then you are getting about the best you can expect. 94mbps tends to be the number you see if you have a cable/port running at 100mbps rather than 1gbit. If your internet is faster than 100mbps then it still looks like you have a bad cable

Dec 23, 2022
Could be the cable does not fit properly and if you move it a tiny bit it makes better contact.

If your internet connection is a 100mbps plan then you are getting about the best you can expect. 94mbps tends to be the number you see if you have a cable/port running at 100mbps rather than 1gbit. If your internet is faster than 100mbps then it still looks like you have a bad cable
I think max is 100mbps because on an other pc on speedtest I got around 92Mb/s too.

TRENDING THREADS