Question Slow download speeds on my desktop

dehdstar

Honorable
Nov 30, 2017
Hi all, so I'm really beating my head against the wall here.
So, I have three PCs, a gaming desktop (Alienware Aurora R15), Win 11, a mobile workstation, Win 11, and a smaller notebook laptop with Linux Mint.
All of my PC's download at about 300Mbps (give or take), over WIFI...but my gaming PC, with the Killer network adapter, only gets 72Mbps, continuous. I followed every internet download speed tweak guide I could find, including setting the "limit reservable bandwidth" to 0, which it already was, as well as optimally finding my MTU, by using the "ping /f /l 1500" command to google.com, and reducing my packet size, every time it returns with a "Fragmented error," then taking the value that doesn't produce this error, and adding 28 and setting that for my Ethernet connection on the router side. This changed absolutely nothing, but it did further make my WIFI connected devices nearly 2x faster, when applying that method to those connected devices/ ports.

I have also:
Updated all of my drivers (Alienware Update actually does this automatically already)
Ran an SFC/ scannow
Ran a DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth...
Used TCP Optimizer and followed a separate tweak guide for that

The funny thing? Is it's always a hard 72Mbps that I cannot exceed.

Last edited:
How old is the machine with the killer network. There was a very long history of massive issue with killer stuff. So bad intel bought them for very cheap. Not sure what intel is doing with it but it appears to exist.

The problem was killer was being sold based on the stupid concept of QoS to "accelerate" games. Asus still bundles similar app commonly called cfosspeed. None of this software can impact traffic outside the machine and if you have a network bottleneck internally between proesses you are doing something dumb.

Try to unisntall any kind of software like this.

If this is the older killer chipset the idiots put part of the program in the drivers.....this is why many people like me automatically would not consider a new motherboard that used killer. There were drivers you could get that did not have this feature. All the web pages are gone now that intel got them. I know there was some discussion that you could use realtek...i think..drivers. Killer licensed a lot of the tech from another provide so other drivers work.

If it still does this with no QoS software then its hard to say.

I would try IPERF between machines in your house. It is a very simple line mode program so stuff like browser settings etc do not get in the way.

Since you have messed with linux maybe try to use a linux USB boot image and see if it runs different. At least you would know it was something in windows.