Slow Download Speeds on my WIFI router

AIMASH

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
My Wifi Router is getting on my nerves. I have a TP-Link Archer C60 AC1350 router and have a 100mbps Internet line. My speeds are an abomination to look at on 5ghz band. I am getting 0.04mbps download and 95 mbps upload. Upload speed is fine but my download speeds are ridiculous. Btw, I am 1 meter away from my router and thos router is only used in my bedroom, so it should be able to cover a normal sized room with no walls and 5 antennas. But yet here I am, stuck at 0.04 mbps. Tried every setting, nothing works. Same story on 2.4ghz network.
Weirdly, if sometimes my speed do get normalized, they still hover in range of 18-20mbps, while upload speeds are always proper (90-100mbps).
P.S. Idk why but last night (2:00 AM) I was getting proper upload and download speeds on my phone (both speeds were 90-95mbps). But in morning it is again back to square one (18-20 mbps download, 90-9t upload).
I am using a Galaxy Note 9 btw. So I don't think phone is an issue.

Lutfij

Titan
You may want to rule out the router and see if the ISP is at the root of this issue. Where are you located, might I ask? You also want to see if you have the latest firmware on your router. Then make sure your drivers for the wireless adapter is up to date as well.

kanewolf

Titan
The router you have is not capable of supporting a 100Mbit ISP package. It only has 100Mbit wired ports, it is limited to about 90Mbit wired. To get the full benefit of the speeds you pay for, you should replace that router.

How is the C60 router connected to the internet? Is the ISP feed in your room or is it coming to the C60 some other way?

AIMASH

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
Lutfij hey man, sorry for downvote. I have no idea how this site works..
I am getting 95mbps up/down on my pc connected to the same router (wired) . I have latest firmware. Drivers are up to date. I am having a weird issue, where I get proper speeds during late night (12 Am...and so on) while the speeds in my pc are consistent. All of these things are connected to same router.

kanewolf

Titan

Speeds which vary at different times are VERY often related to ISP over-subscription. You can complain to the ISP and they may be able to tweak their infrastructure. Or you might have to change ISPs.

AIMASH

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
kanewolf okay, I get it. But I managed to get like 95 mbps down and up on this very router before. Problem is, they are inconsistent, sometimes it will be proper, sometimes it will be not. But my upload speeds are always proper, so definitely some issue with downloads. My ISP uses fiber optics so they gave a little box where fiber is connected and then it is connected to source and it has one Ethernet cable output. That ethernet cable output is then connected to archer c60 and then my pc and other devices are connected through archer c60.

kanewolf

Titan

Your use of "sometimes" is the key that says it is most likely outside of your router. Meaning it is an ISP issue. You should start by opening a trouble ticket with your ISP.

AIMASH

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
kanewolf the speeds from ISP are fine my man. I am getting proper speeds on my pc (95 download, 94 upload) which is connected to archer c60 through a small ethernet cable. I am having problem in wireless mode, where I am getting like 10% of that speed in download, Download only. Upload speeds mysteriously are fine every where.
My pc and mobile are connected to same router, pc is connected through ethernet cable and mobile is connected wirelessly. Pc gets proper speeds, mobile doesn't.

kanewolf

Titan
There is no magic to fix bad WIFI performance. If multiple devices have equally poor performance then it is most likely the router radio(s).

You could use something like "WIFI Analyzer" on an Android device to see what other interfering WIFI signals there are that your router has to "fight". If there aren't many WIFI signals to compete against, then you will probably have to replace your router.

AIMASH

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
kanewolf, oh man..it's like 2 days since I got this router. Checked on 5ghz band, not a single soul anywhere near me using my band. Everyone is on 2.4 ghz, while I am on 5ghz. Weird thing is, my wireless speeds get fixed somehow at late night. Wired speed don't change, they remain consistent. But wireless speeds do. So I thought maybe there must be some congestion, nope. Not a single person near me using 5ghz band. Strength is -37dBM.