Slow Download Speeds

Zeddoo

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Hey guys, so when I check what speed my ISP is currently providing (in the Network and Internet screen), it shows that it is 100 Mbps, which is pretty fast. But, when I go to download something, whether it be through my browser or Steam and Origin, the downloads seemed to be capped at ~850 KBps. Any suggestions and ideas as why this is happening? (And note that I know the differences between bits and bytes) I'm also using an ethernet connection.

Solution
If any speedtest website indicates something like 7Mbps, then that's probably correct. Most ISP's are smart enough to NOT interfere or place any kind of governor on a speedtest knowing full well this is going to irk the customer if they get less than they paid for. Those are usually very reliable. But ultimately it doesn't matter what I think, or you think, or what any speedtest reports. You need to ask the ISP! That information should be readily available since it dictates what you have to pay.
Are you sure that 100Mbps you see if the ISP, or more likely the 100Mbps available from that PC's Ethernet adapter? Because if it's the latter, then this doesn't reflect what's available from the ISP. Your ISP should provide you w/ information regarding your maximum download and upload speeds. It will vary according to your plan.

What does Speedtest.net report?

http://www.speedtest.net/

Or DSL Reports?

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Zeddoo

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Well, speedtest shows my download speed below 7 Mbps. So it's either that I'm an idiot and it actually is what is available from my adaptor, or something's not right. However, when I asked my parents, they said that "we had the fastest plan available", so it's either that they are very mistaken (which is a big possibility) or something's wrong.

If any speedtest website indicates something like 7Mbps, then that's probably correct. Most ISP's are smart enough to NOT interfere or place any kind of governor on a speedtest knowing full well this is going to irk the customer if they get less than they paid for. Those are usually very reliable. But ultimately it doesn't matter what I think, or you think, or what any speedtest reports. You need to ask the ISP! That information should be readily available since it dictates what you have to pay.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

The speed shown in your network properties is not the speed your ISP is providing. It's the speed of your local area network connection. If it's showing 100 Mbps, that means you have a 100 Mbps ethernet connection from your PC to your router. It says nothing about your WAN speed (the speed of your internet connection), which depends on what package you're paying your ISP for.