Slow download speeds

Stargate

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
I'm on XP Pro and my pc is pretty old (about 8.5 years).
In Control Panel, my network card's speed says 10Mbps, but my ISP should give me at least 25Mbps.

This may be a stupid question, but is it my onboard network card that's holding my speed back? An online speed test gives me about 9Mbps.
Could I get around 25Mbps speeds just by buying a hardware network card?

Thanks.

You need to make sure EVERYTHING between your PC and the router is capable of 100Mbps to max out your Internet speed.

So, beginning with your PC, you need to see of your NIC supports 100Mbps (a NIC less than 10 years old should support it), then make sure all your cables are at least CAT5 rated, then make sure any hubs and switches between your PC and router support 100mbps, then finally make sure your router ports support 100mbps.

Stargate

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
When I run SIW, next to the network adapter it says speed 10Mbps. Where can I find the maximum speed possible?
The model name is "Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC".

I don't know anything about my cables but I use an OfficeConnect Ethernet Hub 4 which has a 2nd pc connected. Should I plug the network cable directly into the pc instead of in the hub?
I read the hub's manual and it mentions 10Mbps a couple of times but there's no mention of its maximum speed.

I updated the card's driver (current one is from 2005) to one from 2009 but the speed decreases instead of going up.

That OfficeConnect Ethernet Hub 4 is only capable of 10Mbps. Replace it with a Gigabit switch like this one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127324

and you should be all set.

Edit: I suggested the Gigabit switch, as they are generally the same price (or cheaper) than their slower 100Mbps counterparts, thus it is not necessary to purchase something that can only do 100Mbps.

Solution

Stargate

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Ok thanks PhilFrisbie and The_Prophecy.
Does this mean that I would get normal speeds if I disconnect the hub?

Since I live in Europe, would this one also suffice?
"10/100/1000Mbit 8-Port Switch LINKSYS SE2800-EU"

sk1939

Distinguished

That should work fine.