slow downloads for certain programs in windows

Walker_1

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
I have 100mb/s internet at my house, which is amazing when downloading things because it is nearly twice my previous speed of 60mb/s. I can usually take advantage of this speed, and I have noticed something is off recently. A couple of weeks ago I started to work on a new computer: specifically a Dell Optiplex 980 with a motherboard I bought off of E-Bay. As soon as I brought the computer home, I realized the speeds were off. Windows says that it has a 100mb/s link with my router, but my speed test shows a top download of 45mb/s. I played around with the drivers and settings, and soon I was able to get 100mb/s I was happy for about a day when connection issues returned.

I am now getting 45mb/s on a speed test (on the computer, other devices such as my phone are getting around 110mb/s consistently), and I have also noticed other abnormalities. Chrome seems to be going way slower than that speed when loading pages, and exhibits other behavior that could be considered as a CPU bottleneck of some kind (buttons being unresponsive etc...). also when trying to download Autodesk Revit, the download manager says my speeds max out at 4-5 Mb/s (and it is Mb/s, not MB/s which would make sense) Other programs such as the Epic Games launcher also seem to be affected by extremely slow speeds. So much so that It won't register a download speed when trying to update games.

Also, my CPU usage seems to be pinned at about 13-14% all the time even when doing nothing or just listening to music. The numbers in task manager, however, don't add up to 13%

The only culprit I have is Rainmeter, which was installed around the same time as the issues, but when it is uninstalled (including all of the skins) the problems remain.

EDIT: I am Running Windows 10 Pro, upgraded from Windows 7

Walker_1

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

I am using the correct driver for my gigabit device built into my motherboard. I don't think that a driver for a slower device would even work on my PC.

I have tried with other devices on the same cable and they get 100mb/s consistently