Slow dull clicking noise. Computer won't start

Jun 6, 2018
Computer working fine last night. As of this morning instead of starting I get:

Start - no monitor output
Slow dull click
Restart after 10 seconds to 2 minutes, sometimes initiated by the enter key

I managed to fire up the pc once by taking everything out and putting it back except the cpu radiator... But removing it again hasn't allowed the computer to work again.

Any ideas what this slow dull click might mean?

https://youtu.be/Je-mp2wNIWk

Specs are below

8gb Kingston ddr3
2gb geforce gtx
450w corsair power
Intel core i5

Thanks!

ron2456

Distinguished
Looks like its coming from the hdd. While pc is roll a paper in a cylinder and use it to isolate the sound more easily. Sometimes when hdd are at yhe end of life they give out the CLICK OF DEATH sound.
Also it can be from power supply. Like I said try to isolate the sound.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
A tick through the internal speaker would suggest the PSU isnt powering up correctly; might be the psu is dead, or something is shorting it out.

Put the internal speaker back in place.

With the power off, unplug the HDDs and any optical drives, then try again.

If the tick stops, and the PC boots; power down and replug the drives one by one, powering up and checking for the ticking noise each time.

If it still ticks, replug the drives, and remove the gfx card, RAM, and any other card using the PCi/PCIE slots one at a time and repeat - remembering to power down before removal, re-insertion.

Jun 6, 2018
Thank you everyone for all the help so far

Have Removed everything now except ddr and processor+cooling unit with no changes thus far. I only have one ddr unfortunately so can't try a different one though removal does change the warning sound to the standard rapid beepbeepbeep

I should Mention on my stumbling removals process earlier I did manage to fire the computer up once fully to log on with no issues though had to turn it off again rapidly as the cpu fan wasn't back on. Haven't been able to reproduce this though. Just FYI.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016

How long was the power on?? You should NEVER power up a system with no cpu cooler in place; it probably wont boot now because you have killed the cpu; and possibly damaged the socket..

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
OK, there is a chance the heatsink kept the temp rise slow enough for the chips over temp features to cut in and save it - maybe.

Try what I posted before and let us know what happens.

Not sure if it still works, but I have had boards with totally fried cpus boot into the BIOS before; so hopefully, even if the cpu is fried, we might be able to sort out the original problem.