Question Slow ethernet download speed with ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming board ?

Dec 2, 2023
Is anyone able to assist me in narrowing down what could be the cause of bad download speeds? I've got my ethernet cat6 cable plugged directly into the back of the ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming motherboard but I can only seem to get around 20mbps whereas other devices on my network get close to 50mbps (our internet plan limit). Could there be some obvious or less obvious cause for this that may not be immediately apparent?

Dec 2, 2023
Deco X73-DSL, however, all other devices on the network, either plugged directly in using existing or new cables (went and got a new cat6 cable today for testing) are sitting close to 50 megabits.
Using different cables or the wifi itself on my pc which has the z390-e in it, seems to only yield around 20 megabits

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023
is this a new pc?
how are you testing the speed?
did you install any asus utility? network driver up to date?
It’s not particularly new, 2018 or 2019. I’m testing the speed with a simple Google internet speed test (the one you get in the results search for searching speed test) and also running my ISP‘s speed test on their website.
i don’t believe I have any asus utilitys installed, only what came with and maybe armoury crate but that’s for lighting control.
all network drivers are up to date