[SOLVED] slow ethernet from additional router, but stay fast from ISP's router

Oct 25, 2021
Hi guys, thanks for taking your time to look into this post. I am not knowledgeable in the networking area and the guys sent by my ISP to resolve my issue didn't really solve it. Thanks a lot before for trying to help me.

So my issue is as below:
  1. When my PC is connected to the ethernet from the ISP's provided router ("router A")(said cable which passed through 2 splitters) (Router A -> Splitter -> Splitter -> PC), it performs well enough for me (Speedtest: 90Mbps down, 90Mbps up, download speed from Steam peaked at 11-13Mbps)
  2. When I connected additional router ("router B") from Router A and then connect the ethernet from Router B to my PC (Router A -> Splitter -> Splitter -> Router B -> PC), the internet speed is considerably slow (Speedtest: 90Mbps down, 90Mbps up, however, it doesn't seem like it as download speed from Steam peaked at 1.3-1.4Mbps)

The Router B which I am using is Tenda model AC:6 and I am using Cat6 for cabling.

I suspect it has something to do with router B's setting, which I am unsure of what or how to change. I tried using different ports of Router B and the result is still the same. Also tried to look into the app Tenda provided on android and with my limited knowledge, it doesn't seem there are any settings which can help my case.

My goal is so that I can have the supposed speed as in point 1 using Router B to my PC by ethernet and everything else wireless.

Do any of you have any suggestion on what and where to look or change?

Thanks a lot!

Solution
I am saving up to buy quest 2 and want to use the air link for PCVR games (which require the Router -> PC connection)
If you think the settings on the Tenda are an issue, then do a factory reset on it.

It does not HAVE to be that way. As long as there is an ethernet and WIFI on the same network. I would convert the Tenda to an access point -- https://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/tn-ac6-Setup-Guide.pdf and put it in a second switch port. It will behave just like you are on the LAN port of the Tenda.

It is also possible you have a bad cable. Putting the Tenda between the PC and switch requires an additional cable. That cable could be bad.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi guys, thanks for taking your time to look into this post. I am not knowledgeable in the networking area and the guys sent by my ISP to resolve my issue didn't really solve it. Thanks a lot before for trying to help me.

So my issue is as below:
  1. When my PC is connected to the ethernet from the ISP's provided router ("router A")(said cable which passed through 2 splitters) (Router A -> Splitter -> Splitter -> PC), it performs well enough for me (Speedtest: 90Mbps down, 90Mbps up, download speed from Steam peaked at 11-13Mbps)
  2. When I connected additional router ("router B") from Router A and then connect the ethernet from Router B to my PC (Router A -> Splitter -> Splitter -> Router B -> PC), the internet speed is considerably slow (Speedtest: 90Mbps down, 90Mbps up, however, it doesn't seem like it as download speed from Steam peaked at 1.3-1.4Mbps)
The Router B which I am using is Tenda model AC:6 and I am using Cat6 for cabling.

I suspect it has something to do with router B's setting, which I am unsure of what or how to change. I tried using different ports of Router B and the result is still the same. Also tried to look into the app Tenda provided on android and with my limited knowledge, it doesn't seem there are any settings which can help my case.

My goal is so that I can have the supposed speed as in point 1 using Router B to my PC by ethernet and everything else wireless.

Do any of you have any suggestion on what and where to look or change?

Thanks a lot!
What do you mean by "splitter"? If it is a device that provides two connections to a single ethernet cable, then that is why it is only 90Mbit. By using 4 wires for port #1 and 4 wires for port #2 of the splitter it forces the connection to be 100Mbit. You won't get faster than 90Mbit.
This -- https://www.amazon.com/Duttek-Splitter-Ethernet-Adapter-Extender/dp/B08Q81NBB1/
Put a gigabit switch at each end of the cable and you will get gigabit speeds.

Oct 25, 2021
What do you mean by "splitter"? If it is a device that provides two connections to a single ethernet cable, then that is why it is only 90Mbit. By using 4 wires for port #1 and 4 wires for port #2 of the splitter it forces the connection to be 100Mbit. You won't get faster than 90Mbit.
This -- https://www.amazon.com/Duttek-Splitter-Ethernet-Adapter-Extender/dp/B08Q81NBB1/
Put a gigabit switch at each end of the cable and you will get gigabit speeds.

My bad, the guy sent from ISP called it a splitter, i think its actually a switch. Looked it up at amazon and i am pretty sure the make and the model is this https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet-Splitter-Unmanaged-TL-SF1005D/dp/B000FNFSPY

Actually I am currently content with the 90Mbit i guess, its just that i don't think the speed should drop from 13 Mbps to 1.4 Mbps by using Router B in between as Router B's model supposedly is quite new.

Also, i just found out from the Router B's package box that it supports FE instead of GE. Is the drop from 13Mbps to 1.4 Mbps download peak reasonable because of this? do I need to get a new router if I want the download speed to stay at 13 Mbps?

kanewolf

Titan
My bad, the guy sent from ISP called it a splitter, i think its actually a switch. Looked it up at amazon and i am pretty sure the make and the model is this https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet-Splitter-Unmanaged-TL-SF1005D/dp/B000FNFSPY

Actually I am currently content with the 90Mbit i guess, its just that i don't think the speed should drop from 13 Mbps to 1.4 Mbps by using Router B in between as Router B's model supposedly is quite new.

Also, i just found out from the Router B's package box that it supports FE instead of GE. Is the drop from 13Mbps to 1.4 Mbps download peak reasonable because of this? do I need to get a new router if I want the download speed to stay at 13 Mbps?
Look at the title of the link you sent -- 10/100 Mbit switch. That is the problem. You need two of these -- https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Splitter-Optimization-Unmanaged-TL-SG105/dp/B00A128S24/ to get faster than 90Mbit performance.

Oct 25, 2021
I see, i guess that's a problem as well. I'll look up to changing the switches in the future.

However, currently the problem in my case starts with the extra router, not the switch.

when the connection is ISP's Router -> Switch -> Switch -> PC, the speed is good enough for me
when the connection is ISP's Router -> Switch -> Switch -> Tenda Router -> PC, the actual download speed decrease a lot

kanewolf

Titan
I see, i guess that's a problem as well. I'll look up to changing the switches in the future.

However, currently the problem in my case starts with the extra router, not the switch.

when the connection is ISP's Router -> Switch -> Switch -> PC, the speed is good enough for me
when the connection is ISP's Router -> Switch -> Switch -> Tenda Router -> PC, the actual download speed decrease a lot
Why do you have router B between the switch and PC? It could be on a different switch port and the PC directly connected to the switch.

kanewolf

Titan
I am saving up to buy quest 2 and want to use the air link for PCVR games (which require the Router -> PC connection)
If you think the settings on the Tenda are an issue, then do a factory reset on it.

It does not HAVE to be that way. As long as there is an ethernet and WIFI on the same network. I would convert the Tenda to an access point -- https://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/tn-ac6-Setup-Guide.pdf and put it in a second switch port. It will behave just like you are on the LAN port of the Tenda.

It is also possible you have a bad cable. Putting the Tenda between the PC and switch requires an additional cable. That cable could be bad.

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 25, 2021

oh, ok then I'll do this instead. Also, I'm quite sure its not the cable as I tried using that cable between the switch and pc and it performed the same. Anyway, thanks a lot for answering!

TRENDING THREADS