Slow file copying within the same drive.

exitwound_45

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
I'm trying to re-install Steam right now, so I'm copying \steamapps elsewhere onto the same drive. It's 250 GB. It's fluctuating between 7 MB/second and 12 MB/s, which seems slow. My drive is probably dying, right?

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Intel i5-3570K, not overclocked anymore
32GB RAM
Drive: TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Had it for about 3.5 years, it has performed very well.

The reason I am attempting to re-install Steam is because Steam crashed today when I was trying to download a game. Then my hard drive vanished from Windows Explorer. Chkdsk found and fixed some disk errors, but when I try to use Steam, it eventually crashes and the drive vanishes again.

Hi there exitwound_45,

The first thing you may want to do is to back up the important data stored on the drive.
After that, you can test it with some of these: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

If there is something wrong with the drive, you will have to replace it.(RMA if under warranty)

It will not hurt to attach the drive with different cables to another SATa port. Updating MOBO's drivers may be a good idea as well.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)