slow hard drive access after power failure 3gb WD 5.25 drive

Sep 24, 2018
about a week ago I was unplugging usb cables to get the dust blown out
and right after I moved something the pc power failed
I blow dust off and turn it back on but the pc was never the same afterwards
I see the light on psu flickering and it makes very faint buzzing noise all the time

anyway I wen to my backup drive and found that it was very slow. green line loading all the time when I click on any subfolder.

I tried to disable indexing but it took forever so I cancelled it.

few days ago I moved it to new pc and to my surprise its same thing

even on new pc the drive still very slow to access anything on it
I ran error check and defrag both came back clean
I don't know what else I can do to even find what the problem is

Solution
I don't see why they'd be anymore resistant to failure. Both mechanical and work the same way, the only difference really being the size of the platters. So I suppose a bigger platter has more surface area to potentially fail? If you're worried about shock resistance, SSD is really the only way to go.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
5.25" drive? I think you mean 3.5.
The sudden power loss could possible have damaged something in the drive. Only other thing I could think of is bad sectors but you said it passed the scans fine, and it can't be the windows system cause you have it in another computer. Have you tried a new sata cable?

Sep 24, 2018
I actually just did that yesterday and it came back with zero errors.
which is why its puzzling to me. I scanned it like 4 times with different scanners and all came back with no errors but I can see the performance is slowly degrading every time I try to use it.
it just crackles away slowly in the background constantly even when im not accessing it.
and with the drive plugged in the pc takes about 5 minutes to boot up. and is slow
without it pc takes about 5-6 seconds to boot up

Sep 24, 2018
are external 2.5 drives more shock resistant?
I was thinking to use a usbC drive for backup instead

now that I think about it I have never had an external 2.5 drive fail on me.
only the internal drives been dropping like flies

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
I don't see why they'd be anymore resistant to failure. Both mechanical and work the same way, the only difference really being the size of the platters. So I suppose a bigger platter has more surface area to potentially fail? If you're worried about shock resistance, SSD is really the only way to go.

Solution