Slow hdd when long time not on it

MousTea

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2017
Hey people,

I have a ssd and a hdd, currently i like to play the game cs:go that i have located on my ssd
But when i play long on the ssd, the hdd has nothing to do and gets slow.
This is what i do to stop the slowness on the hdd i download 2-3 games or play 1 hour on the hdd and it gets fast again. Is there a way to keep my hdd busy with something while I'am playing games on my SSD?(I have my windows on the ssd)

Thanks, Jiry

Using another drive will not make a second drive be slower, outside of simply going into a lower power mode. That is normal, you don't need to mess with anything to keep the drive "busy" for no reason. One of the best ways to break something is to start trying to "fix" an issue that is not an issue. Now if your drive actually has something wrong with it, like bad sectors or other issues, then it should be replaced. To find that, do a scan on it with a utility from the drive vendor to test the drive.

Your hard drive may be going to sleep due to inactivity. The next time it is needed, you have to wait for it to power up and the disk to spin up to speed. This can take a few seconds, making it seem the drive is lagging your system.

You can disable this behavior in Windows power management settings. Set the number of minutes before the hard drive goes to sleep to 0 (zero).

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/prevent-hard-drive-going-sleep-windows