[SOLVED] Slow HDD Win7 boot after chkdsk

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDAsh

Prominent
Feb 7, 2020
I decided to give one of my drives (Win7, SATA2) a thorough check for bad sectors/errors, and ever since then it's performing VERY slow.
The thing is, I have another HDD with WinXP (also SATA2) on it, and when I boot into that, the read/write speeds on that Win7 drive are nothing unusual.
Booting into XP is fine and copying files to/from the other drives is as normal, as far as I can tell.

However, when booting into the Win7 drive, it takes about 30 minutes to settle in, no exaggeration! Running another full chkdsk took over 30 HOURS! I also tried a 'Startup Repair', and currently trying to do 'SFC'. I'm not sure why a bad system file would cause this kind of slow-down, but I will try.

I've never had a problem like this in my entire life. Either a HDD works, or if it's in its death-throws will exhibit all kinds of other behaviours, like cyclic redundancy check, etc. This one seems healthy, except for being dog-slow when used as boot device. Otherwise, as far as I can tell, fully functional, just some 1000X+ slower than it should be.

I also did try swapping all the SATA cables and ports, BTW, so I feel confident that is ruled out. I also checked the BIOS and "IDE channels" in Device Manager, to make sure it's not set to PIO. It says UDMA6.

Any advice would be dearly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.