Question Slow HDD

Jan 8, 2021
Hello, I currently have a WD Black drive as my second drive, with my boot drive being a 500GB SSD. However, I've repeatedly run into problems with the speed on the WD Black drive, making it even worse than ancient hard drives I had on my older computers. The maximum speed I can get with it is maybe 3 MB/s usually closer to 500kb/s to 1 mb/s. I've tried looking around at a lot of stuff, and it seems that I should be getting a lot more from this drive, if I'm understanding everything right, and it certainly seems like something is wrong because most games are almost impossible to play on this hard drive. Some will just straight up be stuck the entire time because it can't read/write fast enough, or have excessively long load times.

I've tried contacting Western Digital, but their maintenance tool says that the drive is functioning correctly, and the tech just says 'speeds can vary'. Am I crazy and this is just a normal speed? I've tried reformatting the drive twice, changing the cables, etc. Is there another solution for this, or am I just better off not even using it?

Jan 8, 2021
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B450-F
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
GPU: RX 480
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB
HDD: WD Black 2TB

Not sure how to attach files in this, or if I'm allowed to, but I have a dxdiag text file I can upload if that helps.

TRENDING THREADS