Slow Home Network Speeds

arblargan

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
I have several problem relating to my home network, so I'll just list them in order.

Firstly, I have the TP-Link TL-WN722N Wireless adapter hooked up to my desktop computer. I've noticed that the maximum speed of this adapter is 65 Mbps. This is odd because I have a laptop with an internal wireless N antenna, hooked up to the same network, and it shows a maximum speed of 144 Mbps. The TP-Link antenna is set up for 150 Mbps transfer mode. I've disabled autotuning and IPv6. The router I'm using is a Netgear N300 and the mode is set to "up to 150 Mbps".

Secondly, I'm having terribly slow transfer speeds between computers. I'm averaging around 700 KB/s to 1.3 MB/s. To test the speeds, I'm transferring a large file between the desktop and the laptop. This is nowhere near the speeds that I would expect. Ideally, I'd like to get this setup to where I can transfer large files to a NAS without it taking 6+ hours. As said earlier, I've disabled autotuning and IPv6, but neither of those made a difference.

I should also add that I'm having no issues what-so-ever with internet connectivity, or download/upload speed. Currently I have 22 MB/s down 2 MB/s Up from my ISP, and I'm getting those speeds with no issues. My only issues are related to home network file sharing.

Honestly, I'm stumped. I've tried searching for an answer for a couple weeks now and have not been able to find a remedy.

Solution
Well if you have overlapping networks on 2.4GHz then it cannot possibly happen the way that you would like. I live in the middle of nowhere and N wireless with 40MHz wide channels was inadequate to stream full BluRay movies from my NAS box (8 x 3TB RAID 6) so I went totally demolition crazy and wired the whole (old) house.

If you have specific point to point needs, like downstairs to upstairs (or the other end of the house), and we forget a cable, the choices are two for a good solution. One is a pair of ASUS RT-AC66U or AC68U routers (one in router mode and the other in media bridge mode) using 80MHz wide 5GHz channels to connect.

And the other is very good powerline adapters (Zyxel PLA5205kit) one next to the router and the other...

RealBeast

Titan
Wireless never achieves anywhere near what it is rated to do and is subject to interference from many sources.

I would start by downloading and running the free home version of the wifi analyzer inSSIDer from HERE, run it and look under the Network tab to see all the signals by channel and strength. Check it from different locations in your home. Do you have any other nearby networks that overlaps yours?

arblargan

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

I have networks that overlap mine, but I've made sure to choose a different channel than all of my neighbors. I figured that wireless would inherently have a slow transfer rate, but I didn't imagine it would be as slow as I'm getting. There are several things that don't make sense to me.

Firstly, why is my adapter saying I'm only getting 65 Mbps speed while my laptop gets 144 Mbps?

Secondly, why is my home transfer speed so much slower than my download speed from my ISP. I can sustain 22 MB/s down using the same equipment that only gets about 1 MB/s transfer speed.

As said before, I'm trying to lay the groundwork for a NAS that I can stream HD movies from. I had an ASUS RT-N66U that's getting RMA'd (2.4 GHz band crapped out), so when that gets back, I'll have a NAS attached to the USB port on that router. Ideally, I'd like to transfer movies from my desktop computer, to the NAS, without it taking 6 hours. Is there anything I can do to achieve that, without going wired? I just don't really have the infrastructure to go wired in my house.

RealBeast

Titan
Well if you have overlapping networks on 2.4GHz then it cannot possibly happen the way that you would like. I live in the middle of nowhere and N wireless with 40MHz wide channels was inadequate to stream full BluRay movies from my NAS box (8 x 3TB RAID 6) so I went totally demolition crazy and wired the whole (old) house.

If you have specific point to point needs, like downstairs to upstairs (or the other end of the house), and we forget a cable, the choices are two for a good solution. One is a pair of ASUS RT-AC66U or AC68U routers (one in router mode and the other in media bridge mode) using 80MHz wide 5GHz channels to connect.

And the other is very good powerline adapters (Zyxel PLA5205kit) one next to the router and the other upstairs or the other end of the house attached to a good AP (like an ASUS RT-N56U or N66U) very close (and best wired to) the TV. There is no other solution that will move enough bandwidth to do the job without interference that makes it unworkable.

Forget 2.4 GHz unless you can't even see your neighbor's houses. 2.4GHz is only good for outdoor point to point AP connections, like Ubiquiti AirMax.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS