Slow internet on my new build.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Just put together a new build and my internet seems to be running really slowly. I have it hard lined in and I'm having trouble even playing something like bloons 5 right now. Wondering what I might check or if there is any software or anything that I might check my network speed etc. with?

Thanks for any ideas.

goerk27

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
You can run a speedtest at speedtest.com
If that comes close to what you booked with your ISP then the internet speed is fine. If not this could mean that there is something using the connection on your end or that the ISP is not delivering what you booked.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Wondering if it has to do with a firewall setting or something I need to address in windows 10. Again, I'm brand new to it and I didn't have any issue with windows 7 prior to the new build. I can't even get through a game of bloons now. I keep getting kicked out because of lost connection with the server before I can even finish a game.

larkspur

Distinguished
Get 7-zip for the zip files. I think you need flash installed for speedtest to work. Motherboards usually come with optical driver disks... You could just use the disk, but I usually download the newest drivers from the motherboard's support page since the disks are often outdated... based on that MSI website, all those drivers listed were released this month (look at the release date).

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Hmm. I found steam was running in the background and installing a huge game, so I paused that and I'm going to see if I have more luck without that eating up bandwidth. I'm extremely interested in the files on the site from this month however. I did get a driver disk with the motherboard, but I haven't had an optical drive installed in a long time.

larkspur

Distinguished
Ok, well you definitely want to install those drivers. I really wouldn't trust Win 10 to find the proper drivers. I'd install them myself after downloading them from MSI. Unless Win 10 actually found the proper drivers for your motherboard's components, it will use generic drivers that aren't going to give you full performance and features. You should also get the newest drivers from Nvidia for your 560ti cards if you haven't already.