[SOLVED] Slow internet on pc when using phone wifi

JackHinton

Honorable
Nov 23, 2016
My friend lives in an outbuilding where he has a cat6 cable that runs from the main house router into a separate wifi router/booster in his room, where he has another cat6 running to his pc. The booster/router in his room has a separate wifi name but is still essentially the same network. When his phone is connected the the wifi from the booster/roluter and he plays a game or even looks at social media it slows down his PC connection massively, making games un-playable and making him un-hearable on discord due to the lag. The wifi and wired connection works fine when multi-tasking for his brother who lives in the main house on the main wifi network from the main router. If anyone knows what could possibly fix this any tips are welcome, thanks.

Solution
That is very strange unless the phone is using more than 100mbps of bandwidth. The AP should act as a simple switch connecting the remote PC and the router.

The wifi traffic should not affect the ethernet traffic again unless it is using too much bandwidth. Do you have a small switch you could put in front of the AP. I can think of no reason the device would do that... be sure to check there is no ip conflicts, check the pc, the phone and the AP.

kanewolf

Titan
My friend lives in an outbuilding where he has a cat6 cable that runs from the main house router into a separate wifi router/booster in his room, where he has another cat6 running to his pc. The booster/router in his room has a separate wifi name but is still essentially the same network. When his phone is connected the the wifi from the booster/roluter and he plays a game or even looks at social media it slows down his PC connection massively, making games un-playable and making him un-hearable on discord due to the lag. The wifi and wired connection works fine when multi-tasking for his brother who lives in the main house on the main wifi network from the main router. If anyone knows what could possibly fix this any tips are welcome, thanks.
Unknown. You will need more specifics. What is the link rate on the cable to the outbuilding (100Mbit or 1Gbit)? What make and model is the router?
How is the "router" configured? As an access point or as a router?

That is very strange unless the phone is using more than 100mbps of bandwidth. The AP should act as a simple switch connecting the remote PC and the router.

The wifi traffic should not affect the ethernet traffic again unless it is using too much bandwidth. Do you have a small switch you could put in front of the AP. I can think of no reason the device would do that... be sure to check there is no ip conflicts, check the pc, the phone and the AP.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS